Austria to Switzerland & Jungfraujoch timings

• Newtraveller
    Participant
    10 posts
    6 December 2018 at 14:24:49 #819118

Hi All,

First time I’ll be visiting Austria and Switzerland (traveling with my family in April 2019 is the plan – first week). We are starting in Vienna and Salzburg before then planning on exploring Switzerland. From Salzburg we are planning on taking the train to Zurich and then heading to Jungfrauch region.

Here is our current proposed itinerary:

6th, 7th, 8th = Vienna

9th, 10th =Salzburg

11th – Salzburg to Zurich

12th (travel day) Zurich to Interfallen (wanted to confirm how long this generally takes)

13: Interfallen to jungfraujoch Train (from what I have seen this is a 2-3 hr train ride)?

14th: jungfraujoch back to Zurich

Seems like a jam packed itinerary – any other good alternatives to jungfraujoch that maybe closer to Zurich or any other ways to make jungfraujoch work if coming from Salzburg?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 18:51:27 #900013

Hi Newtraveller and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to find train connections and duration between cities and towns (to Zurich then to Interlaken (not Interfallen) and then to Jungfraujoch. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Where are you planning on staying overnight on the 12 and 13?

If you haven’t yet, I’d look into rail passes to help offset ticket costs. Either a Swiss Travel Pass and point to point tickets in Austria or a 2 country – Eurail Select Pass could work depending on your final itinerary and trips you will take each day. Have a read here for help on comparing and choosing rail passes: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

As for mountains that are closer to Zurich than Jungfraujoch, there are several (but none right around Zurich). There are a few around the town of Lucerne noted here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities

Another option is Säntis with the nearest larger town being St. Gallen (on your way to Zurich). saentisbahn.ch/en/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2018 at 0:58:31 #900014

“12th (travel day) Zurich to Interfallen (wanted to confirm how long this generally takes)

13: Interfallen to jungfraujoch Train (from what I have seen this is a 2-3 hr train ride)?

14th: jungfraujoch back to Zurich”

Your itinerary doesn’t seem all that ‘jam packed’ especially if you understand the following:

Zurich – Interlaken (not Interfallen) certainly doesn’t take all day. It is just under 2 hours journey by InetrCity train with one change of train in Bern.

Interlaken – Jungfraujoch is an out-and-back excursion which can be done in a minimum of half a day (but do take into account that a good number of people consider the Jungfraujoch destination overrated (and it is certainly very expensive)

You wouldn’t travel “Jungfraujoch to Zurich”, since Jungfraujoch is on top of a mountain. You would return to Zurich from wherever you stay in the Interlaken area.

• The thread ‘Austria to Switzerland & Jungfraujoch timings’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.