Basel-Jungfraujoch-Lucerne-Zurich in 3 days !

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2011 at 6:19:47 #804420

Please suggest if this is good idea for a 1st trip to switzerland. I am travelling with my wife from germany and reaching basel (rly. stn.) on 1st july 7pm. We get back to germany from zurich on 4th night 8pm. Since, our trip is so sudden, I have no idea where to go !

1. Is it too late to order swiss saver pass? Is the price too high to buy from the Railway station at basel?

2. Can we cover Jungfraujoch-Lucerne-Zurich in 3 days? or there are better things to do since this is our first trip. We do not want to be too ambitious and end up doing train journeys inside switzerland !

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 June 2011 at 9:43:07 #833256

Hello chanop, and welcome! In most cases, it’s not too late to order your Swiss Saver Pass. Please get to the Swiss Pass page and select the right data under the header ‘Where to buy your Swiss Pass’. Once you’ve done this, you’ll get to see the purchase options for your country, including information on shipping. Depending on your country of residence and the reseller you pick, ordering online in advance can be cheaper than buying your pass at a Swiss railway station.

You could cover the Jungfraujoch, Lucerne and Zurich in 3 days. You could get to Interlaken or a nearby town right after arrival in Basel, visit the Jungfraujoch on day 2, visit Lucerne on day 3, and visit Zurich on day 4 before heading catching your train or flight to Germany. The timetable will help you out here, as it displays the exact traveling times.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2011 at 11:40:13 #833257

Thanks for your quick reply. From the link you sent I see that I still have time to purchase the swiss pass online !

From your suggestion, we might stay overnight at interlaken and explore Jungfrau from there. Can you also suggest how or where we should get the glacier express… since, the journey in glacier express takes lot of time, we might drop lucerne. We ultimately want to reach zurich by 4th night from where we travel to germany.

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 June 2011 at 13:52:34 #833258

Hi chanop! You can take the Glacier Express, although this will result in quite a full travel scheme. In that case, you should consider something like this:

– day 1: Basel-Interlaken, maybe continue up to the Jungfraujoch if you arrive early enough
    – day 2: (Jungfraujoch and) Interlaken-Zermatt (or Brig, if you don’t mind missing out on part of the Glacier Express)
    – day 3: Glacier Express up to Chur or St. Moritz
    – day 4: Chur/St. Moritz-Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2011 at 6:26:22 #833259

Dear Annika, Thanks so much. After taking your suggestions and little more search, we have decided to stay at Wengen and go to zermatt early morning to catch the glacier express, and then on to zurich. Your forum is lovely !

Annika
    7116 posts
    24 June 2011 at 11:08:59 #833260

Thank you chanop, and you’re welcome!

• The thread ‘Basel-Jungfraujoch-Lucerne-Zurich in 3 days !’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.