Basel to Interlaken – best route for scenery

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 15:01:26 #811680

Hi,

I will be travelling from Paris to Basel for which I have a reserved tkt. From Basel, I need to travel to Interlaken (W). Pl advise what will be the best train I should take to have a panoramic view of the journey

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 May 2017 at 23:02:14 #862798

Hi Sanjeev-

There are several routes possible….how much time do you have and what time of day or night will you reach Basel.

The most straightforward route is Basel to Bern to Interlaken. It is a pleasant journey with quite nice scenery from Bern south to Interlaken. You begin to see the Alps as you go south from Bern.

This map will help you visualize the journey.

map.search.ch/?pos=677760,225920&z=1

If you use “Traffic” in the “Points of Interest” menu. you can get icons for tranpost stops, which outline the rail routes. Zoom in far enough, and the tracks are shown.

To calculate times for various routes, use the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 9:42:13 #862799

Hi Sanjeev,

The other option would be to go Basel – Luzern – Interlaken Ost. You can take the Luzern-Interlaken Express train from Luzern to Interlaken which is part of the Golden Pass route, and the train is a panoramic train with larger windows

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2017 at 9:46:37 #862800

Or, he can go via Montreux and Zweisimmen to Spiez and Interlaken…Or Montreux, Brig, Kandersteg, Spiez….. It all depends on how much time he has.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 10:33:36 #862801

limitless options 🙂 All of Switzerland is scenic!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2017 at 13:16:01 #862802

<<“limitless options 🙂 All of Switzerland is scenic!”>>

All except the insides of the new trans-alpine “basis” tunnels. ;-(

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2017 at 2:51:27 #862803

Hi Sanjeev,

Do you have plans to visit other parts of Switzerland? Where are you going after you leave Interlaken? That may dictate which route you take to get to Interlaken from Basel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 12:39:40 #862804

Hi Lucas !

I will reach Basel from Paris at 3:26 pm on 13th Jun 2017. My plan is to reach Interlaken as early as possible so that after hotel check-in, we can spend some time in local visits and if time permit, visit some lake Thun.

Hence, pl advise me the shortest route which takes me to Interlaken fast . However, if the train journey gets scenic, nothing like it.

Thanks

Sanjeev

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 12:41:38 #862805

Hi,

I will be going to Luzern after Interlaken. Pl suggest me a route from Basel to Interlaken accordingly. Which train I should take such that my journey takes shortest time to Interlaken (West) besides being scenic.

Thanks

Sanjeev

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 13:11:24 #862806

Hi Sanjeev,

The timetable for Swiss railways will always provide you with the quickest route to your destination. You can search the timetables here. The quickest option is a direct train in about 2 hours.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Basel to Interlaken – best route for scenery’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.