Basel to Interlaken West

• NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    15 July 2022 at 13:25:09 #827779

Hi guys, I am travelling to Interlaken on Thursday, Im coming from Amsterdam and change train in Basel to Interlaken West. Is the train will pass Interlaken OST? Or interlaken west first?

How far is interlaken west to OST? Is there a free shuttle?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 July 2022 at 13:34:18 #944340

Hi NannyNorman,

If you’re travelling to Interlaken from Basel, you will arrive at Interlaken West first. The same train will call at Interlaken Ost next in just 5 minutes.

You can use the SBB timetable to check train schedules. Just input Interlaken Ost as your destination.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2022 at 17:19:00 #944341

Coming from Bern and Spiez the main line railway runs East towards Interlaken. Hence, logically Interlaken West station comes first, before Interlaken Ost (=East). Interlaken West is actually the main town station in Interlaken, closest to the shops etc. Interlaken Ost is more of a railway junction really.

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    15 July 2022 at 17:24:48 #944342

Thank you Anna, my ticket is interlaken west. Is there a shuttle bus from west to ost? Or i can get off the train from ost even my ticket is west only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2022 at 21:49:32 #944343

Technically speaking you cannot travel beyond Interlaken West to Interlaken Ost if your ticket is destination Interlaken West. However, in most European countries two stations close together in one town on the same line will count as one in the same. The fare is probably the same.

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    16 July 2022 at 5:47:44 #944344

Thank you

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 July 2022 at 7:18:16 #944345

Hi NannyNorman,

There are both trains as well as buses between Interlaken Ost and Interlaken West. You’ll find them in the Swiss timetable. The information below can be helpful:

Will you be using any kind of rail pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses)? If so, the additional ride to Interlaken West could be discounted or even entirely for free.

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    16 July 2022 at 11:06:59 #944346

Thank you for all your replies.

I am planning to buy a ticket using SBB mobile, interlaken west to lauterbrunen.

Point to point ticket is 9.60 chf and point to point class upgrade is 4.60 chf, what ticket should i get? Is the point to point ticket is one way only then i will buy another ticket going back to interlaken?

Then from lauterbrunen if im going to grindewald do j have to buy a seperate ticket also?

thank you

Anna
    6382 posts
    16 July 2022 at 14:14:47 #944347

Hi NannyNorman,

If you’re planning to travel to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald then back to Interlaken on the same day, you can buy a point-to-point return ticket from Interlaken West to Grindelwald via Lauterbrunnen, which is valid the whole day. Choose the single and return journey from the menu option. The price is CHF19.40 if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card. More information about point-to-point tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

The class upgrade is the price you pay to upgrade from 2nd class to 1st class. More info here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    16 July 2022 at 15:36:23 #944348

Thank you Anna,

If i will include the Grindewald First in my itinerary is the ticket you suggested is enough or do i have to buy ticket to first in seperate?

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2022 at 9:19:16 #944349

Hi NannyNorman,

No, this ticket does not include the mountain trip to First. You’ll have to get additional tickets: https://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwaldfirst/tickets.

Did you already find out if a rail pass helps you save money? It usually does, especially if mountain trips are involved. Here’s how to get started: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

• The thread ‘Basel to Interlaken West’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.