Bellagio to Lugano transport options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 2:47:21 #821473

I need to get from Bellagio to Lugano on 6th June to catch the 9.22am Gotthard Panorama express to Lucerne. I am hoping an early ferry from Bellagio will get me to Menaggio, and I believe Bus number 12 departs Menaggio at 7.25am arriving at Lugano at 8.31am. Can anyone confirm this?

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2019 at 3:24:45 #911659

Hello Chrisjcraig and Welcome to MySwissAlps

C12 departs 7:35 am I believe – see http://www.asfautolinee.it/co ntent/en/lines-and-times.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 6:26:15 #911660

Hello Chrisjcraig,

I can also find the 7:25 connection you mention in this link:
    http://www.northlakecomo.net/ wp-content/uploads/2018/0 9/bus_menaggio-lugano_orario-inverno-1.pdf

For information and details as well as purchase options for tickets and seat reservations on the Gotthard Panorama Express use below link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress

Hope this supports your planning.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 23:18:50 #911661

Do you actually need to get the Gotthard Panorama Express? (a plan which seems to be enforcing an early start).

Don’t forget you can travel Lugano – Luzern by regular trains and several different ways:

Gotthard panorama

This is ‘take it or leave it’ advice:

Personally I am sceptical of the attraction of the Gotthard Panorama Express. It is an attempt to keep some tourism going on the Gotthard ‘mountain route’ since the rest of the fast trains now go through the base tunnel. However, you see mainly valleys not high mountains. Also it is reservation obligatory and first class only.

Also, the train gets rather lonely – part of the ‘romance’ of the Gotthard route previously was that your train competed for space on the line with huge long international long distance trains carrying 000s of passengers a day between northren and southern Europe, and those passenger trains interacted and weaved in between dozens of heavy freight trains lumbering back and forth across the Alps.

(It could also be argued that it is just a way of finding a use for very expensive panorama cars that Swiss Federal Railways bought but don’t have now have any other use for them…)!

Gotthard

The options on the Gotthard route are:

Use the new base tunnel (the longest tunnel in the world), the Intercity trains run Arth Goldau – Bellinzona and vice versa non stop

Use the old mountain route on ordinary regional trains – for this you take a train Zurich – Luzern – Erstfeld or vice versa, or a boat from Luzern to Fluelen plus train Fluelen – Erstfeld, then the regional train Erstfeld – Göschenen – old tunnel – Airolo – Bellinzona – Lugano – Milano or vice versa

1960 Man : Swiss railway expert and author, travelling Swiss rails for 58 years.

• The thread ‘Bellagio to Lugano transport options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11090 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.