Bern Brig Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2015 at 14:59:11 #807558

Hi,

I will be travelling to Milan on 01Oct15 but I’m still confused on the train parts. Hope someone can kindly assist me.

According to sbb.ch, I would like to take the 14:07 train from Bern > Brig > Milano Centrale.

Questions

1. Is advance booking advisable for the train from Bern > Brig and/or Brig > Milano Centrale?

2. If I have a Swiss Pass (Flexi), is Brig > Milano Centrale covered by it? I understand that Swiss Pass only covers up till Domodossola but the 14:07 train does not stop at that station.

3. How should I go about reserving the seat for the Brig > Milano Centrale?Do I book from Brig > Milano Centrale from sbb.ch or trenitalia.com?

• If via sbb.ch, do I choose GA reduction option for Swiss Pass (Flexi)? Is the price reflected in sbb.ch for Brig > Milano Centrale from Domodossola to Milano Centrale?

Thank you! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 July 2015 at 18:50:36 #844482

Hi klim29,

1. Mos trains from Brig to Milan require reservations. If not, booking seats is still highly recommended, please see here.

2. The pass is called Swiss Travel Pass nowadays (see here please). Brig to Domodossola is covered: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

3. Choosing GA on the SBB site should work, although it’s probably easier to purchase the ticket along with your pass from http://www.raileurope.com.sg# tab3. You can actually select the Swiss Travel Pass there and get a discount on the whole order: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/promotions. I don’t know about the options through Trenitalia.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2015 at 14:33:00 #844483

Hi Arno, thanks for the help! Yes, I would be purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass most likely from raileurope.com.sg site.

I just realised the Brig > Milano Centrale actually has intermediate stops and one of the stops is at Domodossola.

Brig (dep 15:44) > Simplon > Domodossola (I) arr 16:12 (dep 16:17 ) > Stresa (dep 16:40) > Rho Fiera Expo Milano 2015 (dep 17:25) > Milano Centrale arr 17:37

As this is a cross-border journey, may I know how do I get the custom stamp for my passport? I read that there is a custom officer at the Domodossola station. Will I have enough time to get the custom stamp before the same train departs for Stresa and onwards? How long will it usually take?

If I booked the Brig > Milano Centrale (dep 15:44 via EC 57), will I able to take a different train that departs at later timing from Domodossola?

If not, would it better that I book seat from Domodossola > Milano Centrale at later timing instead of Brig > Milano Centrale since the latter train arrival at Brig is 16:12, which only gives 5 min allowance for getting custom stamp before it departs at 16:17 for Stresa?

Hope my questions are clear enough. Thanks in advance again!

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 July 2015 at 18:17:58 #844484

Hi klim29,

I don’t know about stamps to be honest. But you don’t need to get off the train. Customs formalities are being done on board. If want to get off the train for a stamp, 5 minutes would not be sufficient I guess.

A ticket with a seat reservation is valid for one specific train. If you miss it, you need a new seat reservation for the next train.

• The thread ‘Bern Brig Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.