Bern, Lake Geneva area with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2016 at 9:18:14 #808240

Hi,

I will be holding a HFC, on one particular day, I will be travelling from Bern to montreux chillon castle and then to vevey. I hope to do a boat trip in between. I have checked that a boat trip from montreux to chillon castle, it takes only 15 minutes, cost chf5 for HFC. If boat taken from chillon castle to vevey marche it took 1h15m, cost chf15. Is a 15 minutes boat trip good enough or should we go for the 1h15m trip? If 15min is good enough, would prefer that so we can have an additional hour exploring vevey before heading back to bern.

I have also saw this particular offer http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/day-trips/enjoyment.popup. angebotdetail.tagesaus fluege-plausch-kulturwissen-schloss_chillon.html. Is this offer applicable to our route? If yes, can we buy this offer at zurich airport or bern station?

Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    5 January 2016 at 13:00:09 #847526

Hi ocolocorch,

15 minutes isn’t much, but enough to have experienced the lake just a bit. Whether it’s enough is up to you. I prefer longer boat trips but I understand you’re trying to fit a lot into one day.

The offer you mentioned indeed qualifies for a discount as mentioned here. If you click the Prices tab on the page you found you’ll see the discounted price under “1/2” (half fare).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2016 at 0:02:22 #847527

Thanks Arno,

I realised there are no boats in winter. As a result, I will be taking the combo offer from bern to chillon castle station via rail. Since I will be getting a return ticket from Bern to chillon station, can i choose to depart from montreux or vevey back to bern, or must i depart at my arrival station which is chillon station?

I hope to explore vevey after the chillon castle and go back from vevey rather than come back to chillon and depart from chillon to bern.

Thanks.

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 January 2016 at 13:39:06 #847528

Hi again,

I’m not sure of your exact travel date, but indeed boat services are limited in winter. They just run on Sundays on that part of the lake. You can find the timetable through the link on myswissalps.com/ boatlakegeneva.

You’ll pass through Montreux and Vevey anyway on your way back, so it’s no problem to get off the train there and board another one later that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2016 at 13:56:18 #847529

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply. So does that mean that with the return ticket from bern to chillon train station, i can alight at montreux and explore montreux for a few hours, and later travel to vevey and explore for some time before i depart at vevey to bern finally? The ticket allows us unlimited exits between the stations?

Arno
    15482 posts
    8 January 2016 at 16:36:41 #847530

Absolutely. A return ticket basically allows you to travel from point A to B and back to A on the day printed on the ticket. Whether you get off the train along the way does not matter. Just note that you can complete the route only once. It’s not like a pass for unlimited rides.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2016 at 23:53:11 #847531

Wow! Thanks Arno, m so glad to know that!

• The thread ‘Bern, Lake Geneva area with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.