Alternatives for hiking in rain from Gimmelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 10:10:00 #813211

Hi! I will be in the Berner Oberland from September 21st to 24th. Specifically I will be staying in Gimmelwald and will be hoping to do some of the mountain hikes in the area. My hope is to be able to do the hike up to the schilthorn passing by bryndli. I have looked at the weather leading up to that date and it is predicting lots of clouds and rain. I realize that the weather is completely unpredictable and I shouldn’t really pay that much attention to the radar this far out, but since it is on my mind and there will be a chance for rain…can someone tell me if the schilthorn hike would still be worth doing in the rain or if I should look into other options if it does end up raining? And what would be some other things to do besides hiking?

• Annika
    7135 posts
    7 September 2017 at 17:52:54 #869590

Hi blechlerm,

Indeed, no need to worry yet. Forecasts can still change dramatically. But I understand you’re looking for bad weather alternatives. Gimmelwald is beautiful, but it’s tiny and doesn’t offer that many options, so you’ll have to travel a bit in case of (ongoing) rain. Examples are the Trümmelbach Falls down in the Lauterbrunnen valley, a boat ride over Lake Thun or Lake Brienz, city visits to Thun, Bern, Interlaken or Lucerne, or the Ballenberg Museum near Brienz. It’s an open air museum though, so suitable in case of a bit of drizzle but not in heavy rain.

I’d be cautious with hiking in rain. Even the easier paths can get slippery and thus more exposed. Moreover, the views won’t be rewarding.

Let’s hope for sun and clear skies! Fingers crossed!

KimRosenthal
    Participant
    14 posts
    7 September 2017 at 18:44:13 #869591

Hi, Blechlerm!

I just wanted to supply a little reassurance regarding the weather. Approaching our trip, which was from August 22-31, the weather forecasts I was monitoring from the U.S. showed drenching rain and thunderstorms for every day of our ENTIRE stay. This included weather forecasts I reviewed as close to our trip as the day before. Forum writers warned me not to worry, and they were correct. It rained only 1 day out of 10, and we simply spent that day exploring Bern. Otherwise, I can agree with other posters that Trummelbach Falls, the Grindelwald Glacier Gorge, the Aare Gorge, the towns of Bern and Thun, and even kayaking in Interlaken are fine ideas for a rainy day. But it really is way too early to get concerned. I speak from experience.

Likewise keeping my fingers crossed!

Kim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 18:47:01 #869592

Thanks for the responses and the reassurance!!

• The thread ‘Alternatives for hiking in rain from Gimmelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11230 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.