Bernese Oberland Thanks

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2011 at 13:04:51 #804721

I asked this forum some questions before my trip to the Berner Oberland. Just writing to say thanks to Kim11 and Anika for your advice, and for your enthusiasm for this region.

Because of family commitments we were only able to be there for 48 hours. We arrived in Stechelberg at 12:30 (arriving by car from Northern Italy…we ran into 2 “cow jambs” on the way, and crossing the Susten pass was another highlight of our trip), and began our hike to Obersteinberg. Not being in the best shape of our lives, but better than the average couch potato, and including many photo stops, it actually took us closer to 3 1/4 hours. We took the high route, not the valley. Arrived at Obersteinberg, had a beverage, and tried the trail to Oberhornsee. It was later in the day, and we didn’t want to overdo it after 3 hours of climbing and a long day to come, so we didn’t go all the way. It was still a really nice walk, and the small bridge over the glacial run-off was worth seeing. Don’t fall in or that would be the end of you! We loved staying in Obersteinberg and that you had to hike there to stay there. Exactly what we were hoping for, Rustic but spotless! Spectacular views from the bedroom windows, good food. Cornelia speaks english, Vicky is American and gave us a tour of their dairy and cheese making barn. LOVED IT HERE!
    DAY 2: took the high trail from Obersteinberg to Gimmelwald. Unfortunately we were in cloud for the day and didn’t get to see the grandeur of where we were hiking. Loved Gimmelwald, had tea and Kuchen at the “mountain Hostel” (again, view was obscured by cloud, but we loved it anyway) Walked Gimmelwald to Murren to Gimmelwald to Stechelberg. Stayed at Alpenhof, and got lots of local advice from Diane. Had dinner in Lauterbrunnen.
    DAY 3: Took the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, Cable car to Mannlichen, hiked down to Kleine Scheidegg and back to Wengen. Including our downhills from day 2 and this “all down” day, our quads and calves were “somewhat fatigued”. This part of the region has spectacular views, but it was a bit too touristy for me. I’m glad we did it all, but wish we had more time to really explore the “by foot” areas and huttes more.
    I can see why you have such passion for this area. When we return in a couple of years, I will certainly be seeking more advice from this website, and definitely be spending more time to take full advantage.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 September 2011 at 19:44:23 #834252

Thanks so much for providing news of your trip! Glad you had a wonderful time. Sounds like you got quite a bit of hiking in during a short period of time.

Annika
    7104 posts
    28 September 2011 at 14:14:41 #834253

Hello Michele,

Thanks for sharing your trip details! You’ve seen and done a whole lot in just 3 days! Good to hear that you’ll be planning a longer stay. Speak to you in a couple of years then!

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland Thanks’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.