Bernina, Glacier Express & Jungfraujoch from Zug

• dspyne
    Participant
    3 posts
    8 September 2017 at 22:30:13 #813227

Hello,

My husband and I are staying with a friend in Zug in early October. We would like to do both the Glacier Express and Bernina Express as well as the Jungfraubahn. We have a total of 5 free days to do this. In trying to come up with an itinerary, I am not sure what would be the best order to do them. I would like to do it with at most 2 overnight stays.

I have looked at going from Zug to Zermatt and taking the Glacier Express to St Moritz. Overnight in St Moritz and then taking the Bernina Express to Tirano and a local train back to Zug. The Jungfraubahn could be done in one long daytrip from Zug I think.

Is there a less taxing itinerary that would make more sense? Would it be possible to add the Jungfrauban in easier with the other two trains and still stay overnight somewhere only 2 nights?

I have been looking at the pages for all 3 trains and I just see too many options. Looking for help in narrowing down the number of options.

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 0:49:22 #869672

Hi dspyne and welcome to MySwissAlps!

That is pretty much how you would have to do that yes. Neither of those trains (Bernina and Glacier Express, nor Jungfraujoch are close to Zug or each other to make it much easier. Overnighting in Zermatt and St. Moritz would work and then you could get back from Tirano to Zug the next day (another long one)

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to try various different options and route plans. There isn’t really any way to include Jungfraujoch with either panoramic train either. Zug to Jungfraujoch alone is 4.5/5 hours one-way so that is its own very long day trip.

If I were you I would do one train only, probably the Glacier Express.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 September 2017 at 4:33:08 #869673

Here’s an alternate plan. Leave Zug early enough to get to Lugano (there is a fast direct train via the Gotthard Base Tunnel which takes 1hr 40mins).

From Lugano catch Bernina Express Bus to Tirano than Bernina Express to St Moritz or Chur and overnight at one of those. Next day catch Glacier Express to Zermatt and overnight there.

Then Zermatt to Jungfraujoch and then back to Zug.

A busy schedule but do-able with no backtracking if you want to pack those places in.

I used this site to make bookings for the two panoramic trains. http://www.rhb.ch/en/home

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 September 2017 at 6:09:45 #869674

P.S. Bernina Bus departs lugano at 10:00 so you would probably have to leave Zug at 7:31am. 08:00am Zug departure gets to Lugano at 9:48am which is cutting the connection a bit fine even though the Bus departs just outside the station.

dspyne
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 September 2017 at 15:18:36 #869675

Thank you so much for your suggestion. It is very helpful.

dspyne
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 September 2017 at 15:20:41 #869676

Thanks, Lucas for your reply. My husband is a train enthusiast so I will still need to plan for more than one train for his enjoyment but will give first consideration to the Glacier Express.

• The thread ‘Bernina, Glacier Express & Jungfraujoch from Zug’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.