Bernina and Glacier Express seat seservations

• Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    30 March 2016 at 7:01:04 #808757

How many days in advance can I purchase seat reservations for the Bernina and Glacier Express? I am traveling on June 13th and June 16th. I have already purchased an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. When I try to make seat reservations on the Rhaetian Railway website, seats on the bus from Lugano Tirano show “unavailable”. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    30 March 2016 at 8:10:15 #850022

Hi Travelbug53,

Usually you can book seats 90 days ahead of time, or even more. I checked the bus for June 13 and found available seats. Actually none of the seats have been booked yet. Please see myswissalps.com/ berninaexpress/ tickets and also check the link under “More on other websites”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 1:06:09 #850023

Hi Arno, may I check with you:

1) Can I book seats at the last minute (ie. 1 week before or even later than that? I am looking to travel to Switzerland from 6 to 13 June 2016 and I do not know when are the specific dates I will want to take the trains so soon.

2) How many days in advance should I book the seats for Glacier and Bernina express to ensure that I get to take the train (full route)?

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 1:20:11 #850024

Hi,

I also have similar queries: If I purchase a swiss travel pass and wish to reserve a seat on glacier express on September 28, right now the rail Europe website shows only 1st class seats – why is this so? Does this mean the 2nd class are all fully reserved? How early can we reserve seats for travel in September 2016 – I used to think 90 days and hence, have yet to reserve any seats but now when I checked only 1st class seemed to be available and second class seats showed as N/A.

Isn’t the swiss travel pass also valid only for 6 months from the date of purchase?

Arno
    15482 posts
    1 April 2016 at 4:45:25 #850025

Hi ytpng,

You can book as late as you want. But, booking later increases the chance of seats being booked out. There’s no guaranteed last booking date. Some trains may not be fully booked at all while others are booked out way in advance.

Arno
    15482 posts
    1 April 2016 at 4:50:23 #850026

Hi msrajey,

Can you check the other link I recommended above as well?

The Swiss Travel Pass validity depends on how and where you buy it. Normally you would pick the first travel day during purchase and print the pass at home. If not, it could be valid for 6 or 12 months.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 9:31:15 #850027

Hi Arno,

I’m looking at taking both Glacier and Bernina express between 7 to 12 June 2016. From your experience, are these dates usually fully booked? (It’s not really worthwhile for me to buy the swiss travel pass if there’s no seats left… right?) What is your recommendation days in advance that I should book for these dates? Thank you!

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 April 2016 at 11:17:44 #850028

Hi ytpng,

These trains are popular and can be fully booked, but it’s hard to predict that for any specific date. So the best thing to do is book in advance, and it’s up to you how much in advance would be comfortable for you. You could walk up to the ticket office the same morning and be able to get a seat, but it can be fully booked as well. Booking as early as possible is the only way to guarantee a seat.

A Swiss Travel Pass is always worthwhile as there are plenty of regular trains on the same route. Your trip does not depend on these special tourist trains. Please see:

• The thread ‘Bernina and Glacier Express seat seservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.