Bernina Express in one day, back to Zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 16:24:10 #888961

I have a problem with seat reservation with Happy rail booking.

I paid for the whole route from Zermatt to St. Moritz on Glacier Express but they issued ticket only from Zermatt to Chur. When asked they are saying 7.52 train only goes up to Chur. What do I need to do to get To St. Moritz to get on Glacier Express and don’t get charged only for whole trip but just get partial reservation? How do you know when making the booking it only goes up to Chur and not to St. Moritz? Please help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 19:35:14 #888962

Hi Madhura618,

Was Happy Rail not able to get you on a Glacier Express train later that day? Did they check and there wasn’t one? You can certainly take a regional train from Chur to St. Mortiz without issue.

However, they should have only charged you as far as Chur if that is what your ticket is for. You’ll need to confirm that with them. But it wouldn’t make sense of course to charge you for a trip that they didn’t issue you a ticket for.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 June 2018 at 20:50:15 #888963

You only paid for reservations right? I would say your only option is to continue to St Moritz on regular train. GEX Chur to St Moritz looks booked out apart from 18:28 departure. If you took that you’d need another reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 0:15:19 #888964

Ok. May be they don’t have seats for other portion but the scenic part of GEX is from Chur to St Moritz I heard. If not GEX we must take regional train but if no reservation and no seats then do we have to look for seats wherever or stand up . Not used to travel by public transport as there isn’t much option in California . If we take regional train then can we still take pictures

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 2:18:40 #888965

>> When asked they are saying 7.52 train only goes up to Chur.

That’s right. The daily Glacier Express departures in the direction towards Chur between 10 May and 14 October are as follows:

• 7:52 – Zermatt to Chur
    • 8:52 and 9:52 – Zermatt to St Moritz
    • 14:10 – Brig to St Moritz

>> What do I need to do to get To St. Moritz to get on Glacier Express and don’t get charged only for whole trip but just get partial reservation?

As rockoyster has already mentioned, the only Glacier Express train from Chur to St Moritz on 27 July that is not already booked out is the 18:58, arriving St Moritz at 20:58.

You will be better off taking a regional train.

>> How do you know when making the booking it only goes up to Chur and not to St. Moritz? Please help.

You check the timetable on the Glacier Express website, or the Swiss Timetable (to which Lucas has already given you the link):

http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ en/travel-planning/timetables/

>> the scenic part of GEX is from Chur to St Moritz I heard.

My favourite part of the Glacier Express route is the stretch that goes over the Oberalppass between Andermatt and Disentis/Mustér. You will be on the Glacier Express for this sector.

The route between Chur and St Moritz is another of the scenic sectors, the main feature being the Landwasser Viadukt. If you are on a regional train, there won’t be an announcement over the public address system to alert passengers to the approach of the viaduct, so you need to keep an eye on where you are, as it’s all over in about 20 seconds.

The Landwasser Viadukt is between Tiefencastel and Filisur, but much closer to Filisur. There are a couple of other stations after Tiefencastel and before the viaduct (Surava and Alvaneu), but not all trains stop there. Sit on the right, in the back half of the train so you can see the front of the train ahead on the curved viaduct.

>> If not GEX we must take regional train but if no reservation and no seats then do we have to look for seats wherever or stand up

The Glacier Express is famous, has a fancy fitout, offers catering, and has a very limited number of departures, so it is often full.

The regional trains, on the other hand, run every hour, so it is unlikely you will be unable to find a seat. Reservations are not possible.

After you arrive in Chur at 13:26 on platform 10E, you could get the 13:58 regional train to St Moritz, which also leaves from platform 10. As you will be there half-an-hour before it leaves, you will probably be able to be one of the first aboard, and have your pick of seats. Sometimes trains are locked until 10-15 minutes before departure, but as soon as you see the train, try the doors to see if you can board straight away.

>> If we take regional train then can we still take pictures

Yes. If you are interested, you can see some photos I have taken along the Glacier Express route through the windows of regional trains.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/train-across-the-oberalppass-on-a-gloomy-day

My post of Jan 9, 2018 – 3:27 AM on this page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/planning-3-days-in-switzerland-must-sees

Alpenrose

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The thread ‘Bernina Express in one day, back to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.