Questions: Bernina Express route & reservation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2019 at 18:34:14 #820464

Hi….. requesting help for reservations in bernina express.

i will be in st moritz on 6.5.19. from there i want to take the bernina express and bus to lugano so as to reach on the same day. I understand that on 6th may there is no bernina express from st moritz and i have to board from pontersina. i will be taking a swiss pass for 15 days . My questions are

– is there a direct train from st moritz to pontersina and will that be covered by stp

-will the reservation charges for bernina express cover the bernina bus too.

– if not how do i do the bernina bus bookings

– does the bernina bus start from outside the tirano station or we need to board from some bus depot.

– how far would the lugano station be from the drop point of bernina bus.

– how does one ensure a smooth move from bernina express to bernina bus

– are there other travel options between tirano and lucerne as i would be going to lucerne from lugano the same day

-will all this travel be covered in stp

thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 March 2019 at 20:33:27 #906856

Hello Kmonex,

– is there a direct train from st moritz to pontersina and will that be covered by stp

Yes and yes. There is also a bus. Or you can skip the BEX and take a regular train from St Moritz to Tirano to connect with the BEX bus. No reservation required for regular train. Check the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable).

-will the reservation charges for bernina express cover the bernina bus too.

There are seperate reservation fees for train an bus.

– if not how do i do the bernina bus bookings

See shop.rhb.ch/en/catalog /product/view/id/18

– does the bernina bus start from outside the tirano station or we need to board from some bus depot.

The bus depot is about a 5 to 6 minute walk from the station. Turn right out of station, walk under subway, turn left to find the red bus.

– how far would the lugano station be from the drop point of bernina bus.

The bus drops you at the station.

– how does one ensure a smooth move from bernina express to bernina bus

Just show up on time. BEX staff are there to handle luggage onto bus.

– are there other travel options between tirano and lucerne as i would be going to lucerne from lugano the same day

You can go by Italian train Tirano – Monza – Lugano.

-will all this travel be covered in stp

The Italian trains are not covered by STP. Swiss Travel Pass coverage is shown on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 2:08:46 #906857

It appears to me that you want to travel St Moritz – Tirano – LuganoLuzern in one day. Is that correct?

If so it’s a bit too much I would suggest – a long day with no breaks so arguably not worth going via Lugano.

two options: St. Moritz – Bernina – Tirano – Bernina – Pontresina – Samedan – Chur – Thalwil – Luzern;
    or
    St Moritz – Tirano – Monza – Luzern . You would need an Italian train ticket for Tirano – Monza – Chiasso

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 2:10:39 #906858

You do not have to travel on the Bernina Express, any local/regional train is free to board in Graubünden if you have the right valid pass.

It is important to understand the difference between the ‘Bernina Express’ and the ‘Bernina Railway’. The Bernina Railway is the (originally independent) railway line from St Moritz to Tirano – it became part of the RhB in 1943. It has regular ‘normal’ train services :

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/950.pdf

The Bernina Express runs through once a day from Chur, but the line from Chur as far as Samedan/Pontresina/St Moritz is the Albula railway not the Bernina railway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 6:37:40 #906859

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

does the regular train take the same route as bernina express.if yes then why this craze for the train.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 March 2019 at 6:46:57 #906860

Sure does take the same route. Why is the Bernina Express so popular. Honestly? Partly marketing and partly the desire of tourists to tick off bucket-list items. “I did the Bernina Express when I was in Switzerland” has a much grander ring to it than “I caught a train from St Moritz to Tirano”. The scenery is the same. Many people prefer the regular trains and to be able to mix it with Swiss locals. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 7:16:39 #906861

THANKS .

May sound weird but are the seats equally comfortable in both the trains.And just to reconfirm once again that on 6th may 2019 there is no direct train from st moritz to tirano an di have to go via pontresina. Having problem in reading the time table.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 7:26:56 #906862

Thank you.

But keeping aside the long duration is the bus trip to lugano worth it or no. This would be my 1st and last trip to Switzerland .I will not get another chance .I am there in Switzerland for 15 days. your views would be appreciated.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 9:56:34 #906864

Hi Kmonex,

I see you’re receiving a lot of helpful input from the forum members.

The question if Lugano is worth the ride is hard to answer, as both beauty and acceptable travelling times are a very individual issue.

Check out this link to get an idea of Lugano:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano

Regarding your question about the connection St. Moritz – Tirano:
    There ARE direct connections on the 6th of May between the two places (passing through Pontresina), check the timetable for details.

In the timetable, the Bernina EXPRESS trains are marked with PE and the regular ones with R and a Nr.:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Hope this helps.

Get back to us for further input.

Best,
    Steph

Marindap
    Participant
    5 posts
    20 March 2019 at 11:36:31 #906865

I am totally lost now.

I will be travelling from Luzern via Zurich to do Chur to Tirano – it doesn’t matter what the train is called and would like to return the same day to Luzern.

I bought a Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days and not one of the websites on which I am trying to book, gives me the option to choose a Swiss Travel pass. Please assist? Where do I book and what do they call the Swiss Travel Pass?

Can I do this route in 1 day (return)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 20:49:23 #906866

Hi Marindap

Is your question related to this thread or is it a different question altogether? It might be helpful to post it as a new thread in that case.

If you have bought a Swiss Travel Pass you won’t need a ticket, just hop on the right train and show your pass to the conductor, I am not sure why you are trying to book?

Please have a look at:

to have a look at how your pass works with the Bernina Express.

In order to check times and connections, please use the timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As you can see on the timetable, it takes at least 6h 30 to go there and back, so doable but a very long day.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Maria.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 March 2019 at 21:04:38 #906867

You can do it in a day if you don’t mind spending a long time in trains. Use the SBB Timetable (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

To inject a bit of variety into the journey look at the map at http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express-offers/bernina-express-circular-tour#overview. You can do that all on regular trains with no reservations required.

Another option is to get yourself to Tirano in time to catch the once a day Bernina Express Bus to Lugano. From there you can get a fast train back to Luzern. Reservations are compulsory for the bus. See shop.rhb.ch/en/catalog /product/view/id/18.

• The thread ‘Questions: Bernina Express route & reservation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.