Bernina Express bus, is there a toilet break?

• Greg70
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 June 2022 at 21:42:40 #827517

I just noticed that the Bernina Express route includes a 3 hour bus ride from Tiriano to Lugano. Does this bus have a bathroom on it for the 3 hour ride? I am just picturing worse case scenarios in my head.

Any other options to get to Lugano from St Moritz?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    17 June 2022 at 4:21:42 #943308

Just completed a ride on the Bernina bus. From Tirano, after about an hour the bus driver makes a stop and everyone is able to get off the bus for a restroom break, stretch legs, etc.

Anna
    6382 posts
    17 June 2022 at 9:58:33 #943309

Hi Greg70,

I’m sure there would be quick toilet breaks in between.

If you’re not keen about taking the bus, the other option is to take the train from St Moritz to Lugano via Chur and Zurich.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 June 2022 at 13:35:00 #943310

Hi Greg70,

You could take trains via Monza (Italy) to get from Tirano to Lugano (see https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable). This is a 4- to 4.5-hour ride, and it’s not covered by Swiss rail passes such as the Swiss Travel Pass. The Bernina Express bus ride is covered: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

Greg70
    Participant
    5 posts
    17 June 2022 at 17:14:40 #943311

Arno:

I ended up finding out about that line this morning. It looks like Monza is 2:20 long and Lugano is 1:05 long for a total of 3:25 time on train. This is only 25 mins longer than the bus. add another 25 mins between trains. I assume both trains do have bathrooms on board. Although if you don’t want to explore Tirano and want more time in Lugano the train gets you into Lugano and 15:58 vs 17:30 for the bus. So 1:30 more time in Lugano.

You do need to book 2 different train tickets as the first leg is on Trenitalia and the second leg is on Trenord.

I am a little hesitant to book the train right now as I have only read horrible reviews about the train service Trenord.

Does anyone have any experience on Trenord from Monza-Lugano??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 0:44:12 #943312

Monza – Lugano trains are Swiss Federal Railways (FFS in Italian) vehicles so they are Swiss not Italian. Milano and Monza are nowadays part of the cross-border integrated regional ‘TILO’ network

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 7:17:19 #943313

Hi Greg70,

every Swiss train has toilettes, and as 1960man wrote, the Monza-Lugano trains are Swiss trains, so it should be OK. I think that travelling by train is always more comfortable than the bus.

But in this case, you should also know that the bus travels via a panoramic route so it should be more scenic.

Ildiko

Greg70
    Participant
    5 posts
    22 June 2022 at 15:28:13 #943314

Thank you for all this info! Right now I am leaning toward doing the 2 trains instead of the bus.

Since Monza-Lugano is on a Swiss Train would this route be covered by the Swiss rail pass or would I need to purchase a ticket?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 15:39:12 #943315

Swiss Travel Pass covers your route until the border (Chiasso), from there you need to buy a ticket for the Italian part of your trip. Learn more here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

See the validity map of Swiss Travel Pass at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

ILdiko

• The thread ‘Bernina Express bus, is there a toilet break?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.