Bernina Express from Tirano to St. Moritz and more

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2019 at 18:34:12 #823921

In May 2020, we’re planning to take the Bernina Express north from Tirano to St. Moritz. We want to continue past St. Moritz to Lugano or to some other destination from which we can fly to Paris. Where would you suggest we go after St. Moritz, and should we take a train or bus? Also, should we overnight in St. Moritz or is a couple of hours there enough time? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 September 2019 at 20:08:21 #922412

Hi SKLN,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! How much time to spend on St. Moritz depends on what you want to see and do there. I’ve spend weeks in the area multiple times; there is plenty to see, although in May not all hiking trails will be accessible yet. Please see: http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz.

There’s no need for a flight to Paris. Traveling by train is more comfortable and eco-friendly. You’ll find more information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

I’m not sure how much time you have for this trip. If it’s just one night, you could also take the Bernina Express to Chur. The next day it’s an easy one hour train ride to Zurich, and from there a direct train to Paris.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2019 at 22:36:03 #922413

There isn’t a huge amount to see in St Moritz itself.

Coming north to St Moritz and then kicking back south to Lugano is illogical, and you can’t fly out of Switzerland from Lugano.

It is best to go Tirano – Chur – Zurich or Tirano – Chur – Basel (via St Moritz or direct via Samedan)

Once you are in northern Switzerland (Basel or Zurich) you are only 5 hours or so from Paris by train so no need to fly.

I recommend stopping over in Basel which is an interesting city, than getting the direct TGV from there to Paris.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2019 at 23:13:02 #922414

Thank you. These are great suggestions. Now I just need to figure out whether I should get a Eurail Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2019 at 1:18:57 #922415

What is “direct via Samedan” instead of St Moritz. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 0:17:29 #922416

This is slightly complicated to describe, but if you travel the complete length of the Bernina Railway, the last 10 minutes of the journey will be on the line from Pontresina – to St Moritz.

You can either do the above and wait at St Moritz for the first train north to Chur,

or

If you change trains at Pontresina and get a train to Samedan (change trains again there) you cut off a corner so you can get a St Moritz – Chur train ahead of the one you would otherwise be able to catch

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/950.pdf

i.pinimg.com/originals /14/c9/12/14c9121aedf6 9f66443c078e5e166ff0.p ng

• The thread ‘Bernina Express from Tirano to St. Moritz and more’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.