Bernina Express – section crossing Italy

• amandachan
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 October 2021 at 14:08:10 #826213

Hi there!

I am planning a trip to Switzerland, and was hoping to ride on the Bernina Express. However, as parts of it goes through Italy, I wanted to know if there are border checks, and if tourists from non-EU countries (we are travelling from Singapore) would be able to complete the entire route to Lugano.

I read on the Bernina Express website that a vaccine certificate is sufficient, but currently, Italy requires both a vaccine certificate AND a negative test 72 hours before. Does this still apply when we are just passing through on a train?

We will be applying for the Swiss Covid Certificate since tourists need that to enter restaurants in Switzerland anyway, would that exempt us from the test requirement?

Would be wonderful if any travellers from non-EU/European countries could advise!

Amanda

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 October 2021 at 18:02:15 #937090

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, it seems like Singapore is on List D and you do need to present a valid green certificate and a negative PCR or antigen test to enter Italy. Otherwise, you will be subject to 5 days of quarantine. I’m not sure if this is applicable if you are just passing through on the Bernina Express. It does say on the website that if you do not meet this requirement, you have the option to disembark at Campocologno (the border town close to Tirano). For further clarification, it may be best to contact the Bernina Express operator (Rhaetian Railway) directly: http://www.rhb.ch/en/panoramic-trains/bernina-express#c36206

Regards,

Anna

amandachan
    Participant
    3 posts
    27 October 2021 at 13:59:05 #937091

Thank you, Anna.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express – section crossing Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.