Bernina Express: Swiss Travel Pass & reservations

• kokkeed
    Participant
    5 posts
    2 April 2023 at 12:07:35 #829477

Hi,

I have a few questions as follow:-

1) I have reserved 5 first class seats on 26 June 2023, train 973 and time of departure 13:17 St Moritz to Tirano. However , we prefer to take train 971 departing 09:17 from St Moritz to Tirano. Currently, all the 1st class seats are reserved for train 971. No seat is available. Can I change to train 971 when there are seats available when someone cancel the reservation? and what is the chance? Do I need to pay a fee to change the train?

I noticed that currently I only reserved 5 seats on 26 June 2023. Am I correct to say that I’m required to buy the train ticket for St Moritz to Tirano when it is opened for booking (currently it is not).

If the 5 travellers have Swiss Travel Pass, do not still need to buy the train ticket from St Moritz to Tirano?

If yes, we have to buy the train ticket, how do we use the Swiss Travel Pass to get a discount for the train ticket from St Moritz to Tirano?

If no, how do I get the Bernina Express train tickets confirmation online with our Swiss Travel Pass?

It seems like the first thing to do is to get a seat reservation confirmation on Bernina Express before anything else. I would like to ask a silly question. for example, is it possible that I have a seat reservation on train 971 departing 09:17 from St Moritz to Tirano and not able to buy the train ticket as it is fully booked or vice versa having the train ticket but no seat avaiable.

Does the seat reservation system works the same for both Bernina Express and Glacier Express? I also have the same problem of not getting 1st class on a particular day on Glacier Express and have to get a 2nd class (not window seat ) and my group of 5 travelers are scattered around the wagon.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    2 April 2023 at 16:48:40 #952899

Hello kokkeed,

Thanks for sharing. In answer to your questions:

1. Online reservations are generally not eligible for refund unless there is an incapacity to travel (illness, accident or death). If you wanted to switch to another train journey, you would have to cancel and forfeit your reservation for the 973 train journey. Seats may become available on the 971 if other people cancel but I would not risk it, especially as you will be entering the busy period. Another option is to travel by the regional trains.

2. As you have a Swiss Travel Pass you do not need to purchase a ticket for this journey, as it is covered with the Swiss Travel Pass. Only the reservation is necessary in your case. When boarding, if asked, they will ask for the reservation and you also show your Swiss Travel Pass.

3. Yes, best thing is to purchase the reservation first (these can sell out, as you have experienced on train 971), then buy the ticket or pass later.

4. Yes Bernina Express and Glacier Express operate the same, a reservation is necessary, then a ticket purchase, unless the traveler has a pass that covers the journey. See https://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/tickets and https://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets for mor details.

If you are worried, that your group will be separated. You could all choose to travel by the normal trains in lieu of the Glacier Express. This would require train changes between St. Moritz and Zermatt. You can check the routes /train changes required via the timetable link: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

As mentioned, late June is the busy period, the normal trains can get busy too. There would be no guarantee for your group of 5 to be seated together either in 2nd class. 1st class could work perhaps.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

kokkeed
    Participant
    5 posts
    3 April 2023 at 15:43:48 #952900

Dear Yolanda,

Thanks for replying to my questions. It is a great help!

I have one more question to be very sure I get it correct.

Am I correct to say that I have done all I needed to travel on both Glacier Express and Bernina Express? I do not need to buy the train ticket (only available 2 months in advance) since I have bought 15 days Swiss Pass starting on 17 Jun 23 and has secured the seats for both Glacier Express and Bernina Express.

On the day, I travel on Glacier Express, I just need to show my Swiss Pass and seats reservation when asked.

Thanks

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 April 2023 at 17:00:53 #952901

Hi kokkeed,

That is correct. With the Swiss Travel Pass and seat reservation secured on the Bernina Express and Glacier Express, you are ready to go.

Enjoy your trip!

Regards,

Anna

kokkeed
    Participant
    5 posts
    4 April 2023 at 13:32:44 #952902

Dear Anna,

Thanks

• The thread ‘Bernina Express: Swiss Travel Pass & reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.