Best rail package Zurich to Grindelwald and return

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2015 at 18:01:17 #808183

Sorry to everyone reading this the questions look very similar to others and I do feel a bit inadequate at not being able to fathom the answer but so pleased for this forum.

Trip 23rd Dec to 2nd January.

Rail fare from Zurich Airport to Grindelwald and return

Trips during stay all from Grindelwald 26/12 to Jungfrauich return,28/12 to lauterbrunnen/Muren return,29/12 to Bern,30/12 to Kleine Scheidegg return and possible even seperate trip down to Interlaken return.

Question……..is it worth buying the big card or the half price card?

We also have another couple doing Zurich airport to Grindelwald return and probably skiing the rest of the time.

I’m hoping a simple YES by the Swiss Travel Pass is the answer.I have checked the quoted prices and the half price card!

Fingers crossed this gets the thumbs up!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 December 2015 at 22:54:19 #847201

Hi Ray – Welcome to the forum.

The moderators (Arno and Annika) are the experts on rail passes, so I won’t try to answer positively.

There may be specialized passes that are suitable for your second couple, which are designed to get you to and from a single destination after you enter the country, plus provide a reduction on travel from your chosen base point.

Also, specialized passes just for the Jungfrau region.

While waiting for A or A to give you the right answer, you may find this link of value:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

By the way, there are no stupid questions….no need to apologize. And, in this case, rail pass questions are particularly complex, and the answers are specific to exact situations.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 December 2015 at 17:40:43 #847202

Hi Ray,

Indeed no need to apologize; the forum is here to ask questions! The 15-day Swiss Travel Pass is certainly the most convenient option, as you don’t need to buy tickets all the time. Bern, Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Interlaken) can all be reached for free and without tickets.

It’s worth it to compare it to the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi though. It includes the rides to and from Grindelwald for free, and a 50% discount on all other trips. How to compare is explained here, but you’ve probably read that page already.

The other couple can best purchase regular Swiss Transfer Tickets (not the Combi option).

If you click to the price section of the above pages you can see where buy. In your case I’d recommend http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk.

Have a good time in Grindelwald!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2015 at 20:27:25 #847203

Thanks so much for feedback.Forum really good to bounce things about.Really appreciate your inputs!

Am looking carefully at rail passes but here now is the curved ball……….I am 70 (in good health) we are regrettably not having christmas with family in the UK through circumstances and so find ourselves going to Grindelwald,not just for christmas but for our wedding anniversary on 31st December! Many friends have recomended Grindelwald and it looks great.

you hopefully will have seen my itinerary so we are going to enjoy NOT skiiing (wish I could)…..have any of you out there any suggestions how we can celebrate New Year and our anniversary….during the dayand the evening?all suggestions will be given serious consideration,with thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 December 2015 at 0:35:46 #847204

<<” find ourselves going to Grindelwald,not just for Christmas but for our wedding anniversary on 31st December! Many friends have recommended Grindelwald and it looks great.”>>

Ray-

Sounds like it will be a special event. Don’t know what is available at Christmas ( lots, I’m sure) but I do want to make sure that you have your hotel booked. That is a very busy time.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2015 at 7:01:35 #847205

Hi slowpoke! Yes hotel has been booked a couple of months ago,family owned 3 generations and sounds really nice.Our son is coming too,so while he skis we will be doing trips and we have a friend in Thun so already planning to train to Interlaken then take boat to Thun.I do understand there are fireworks in a number of places and after some of our trips I’m sure dinner and a couple of drinks will be the order of the day anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2015 at 12:14:05 #847206

Annika, thanks again for reply and I am getting closer to booking the tickets.I see there is a suggestion that booking rail pass and “local ski pass” can save some money but I can not see how to book local ski pass along with rail pass. Is there something I’m missing on the site.

I have asked my hotel (Hotel Gletschergarten) if they have suggestions for ski school/hire and passes locally for my son who will be doing all the energetic stuff!

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 December 2015 at 13:08:37 #847207

Hi Ray,

Actually I am not aware of a combined offer. I just check the site again but didn’t find it. You can purchase a local ski pass when you’re in Grindelwald.

• The thread ‘Best rail package Zurich to Grindelwald and return’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.