Best rail route from Lyon/Nice to Lucerne?

• violet222
    Participant
    8 posts
    2 November 2022 at 17:58:42 #828580

Hello,

I’m planning a river cruise trip in France. The start/end points are Lyon and Nice (I can take the cruise in either direction). I also want to see friends in Lucerne on this trip. I could see them either before or after the cruise and can fly in or out of Zurich.

I am able to take one full travel day to do a scenic rail trip between Switzerland and France. I don’t mind if it’s a long trip as long as it’s not too stressful with train switches (I’ll have luggage). I’m just interested to see the Alps via train. This will be in May.

What is the most scenic train route that can be done in one day between Lucerne and either Lyon or Nice/Marseille? It seems like the Golden Pass to Montreux, then on to Lyon via Geneva is the best answer here, but I want to ensure I’m not missing a better option.

thank You!

• The thread ‘Best rail route from Lyon/Nice to Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.