Best scenic train trip from Lucerne on last day

• Rhendric
    Participant
    10 posts
    15 August 2022 at 21:51:33 #828097

Excited! we leave on Friday Aug 19, spending 6 days in Lucerne and 3 days in Zurich.

We plan to go to Jungfrauhoff, and Gelmerbahn. Wife also booked a day trip which does a few things including up to the peak Pilatus. Also considering Titlis cliff walk.

We plan to buy a Swiss travel pass.

Any advice on a great return scenic train ride? I can see the goldenpass has a trip from Lucerne to Montreaux, which is 5.5 hrs and I guess we’d need to take it each way which is a bit long. Any other recommedations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    16 August 2022 at 1:13:45 #945671

Hi Rhendric,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

It’s great that you are planning to buy the Swiss Travel Pass. It makes travelling easier and flexible.

Indeed you can travel on the Golden Pass route from Lucerne to Montreux. The entire route is explained in detail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere. If you plan on doing a return trip, I suggest travelling with the Golden Pass on the way out then take the fast train on the way back. This will cut the journey by a couple of hours. You can use the SBB timetable to check train schedules and plan your route.

If you’re looking for shorter scenic trips, you can take the Voralpen Express. Or do the Queen of the Mountain Roundtrip from Lucerne to Rigi. YOu can find the details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/rigi (scroll down to the middle of the page).

Hope this gives you some options for your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2022 at 8:38:25 #945672

Yes – I agree with Anna:

One day round trip:

Luzern – Interlaken – Spiez – Montreux (Golden Pass route)

Montreux – Lausanne (SBB IR main line train)

Bern – Luzern (SBB direct fast IR train)

OR

Bern – Langnau – Luzern (BLS regional semi-fast train via the beautiful scenic Emmental (of cheese fame) valley.

Rhendric
    Participant
    10 posts
    16 August 2022 at 10:55:17 #945673

thank you! this is great information! Can the golden pass route be booked through the SBB app? I will have the swiss travel pass and understand goldenpass is included, but just not quite sure how to book it?

sorry for all the questions!

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    16 August 2022 at 12:11:42 #945674

If you have the STP, all you do is get on the train. The Pass is your ticket since the trip is included. It’s generally only on mountain trips that the STP provides a discount, and in those instances, you need to buy the ticket.

Anna
    6274 posts
    16 August 2022 at 14:43:11 #945675

Hi again,

Pvonk is right! With the Swiss Travel Pass, there’s no need to buy tickets or make seat reservation. You simply choose a suitable connection and get on the train. Here’s some useful information about how to use the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse

Regards,

Anna

Rhendric
    Participant
    10 posts
    16 August 2022 at 18:52:03 #945676

I am feeling confused about how to start the golden line route. I’ve used the SBB train schedule which shows a lot of options, but I can’t tell which trains are the golden line?

We are staying nearby the Allmend/Messe station at Kriens, just outside of Lucerne. I suppose we need to get to the main Lucerne train station and board the golden line from there?

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 August 2022 at 19:13:28 #945677

Hi Rhendric,

Please have a look under “Timetable” at Anna’s link (http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere). That should explain it all. There’s a map too.

You can start your trip at the Lucerne main station or go south straight from Messe and change at Sarnen. The timetable shows you what to do.

Enjoy the ride!

Rhendric
    Participant
    10 posts
    16 August 2022 at 20:08:07 #945678

Thanks for your help and patience, I did review the info you directed me to, thanks for that.

Maybe I am using the SBB timetable incorrectly, when I enter Luzern to Montreux, all the options which come up seem to be around 3hrs long, which is shorter than the goldenpass route which is around 5.5 hrs? I must be missing something

I think this system will work well but something hasn’t ‘clicked’ for me yet

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2022 at 7:29:44 #945679

Hi Rhendric,

that is correct. The SBB timetable shows the fastest route by default. Enter Zweisimmen as via-station.

Between Lucerne and Interlaken, the trains are labeled ‘IR’ (InterRegio). Between Interlaken and Zweisimmen, there are normal regional trains. Between Zweisimmen and Montreux, trains labeled ‘PE’ are the official GoldenPass trains.

Please let me know how it is going, could you find now the Golden Pass in the timetable?

Ildiko

Rhendric
    Participant
    10 posts
    17 August 2022 at 14:27:18 #945680

Hi thank you. Yes I could get it to work by entering the via waypoints. I think I was expecting the goldenpass line to be more explicitly labelled as such.

appreciate the help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2022 at 16:34:58 #945681

I attached a screenshot for you.

If you click on a + sign in the timetable, you get a bit more information about the trip, also you can see whether it is the Golden Pass or not.

Ildiko

Rhendric
    Participant
    10 posts
    17 August 2022 at 16:43:11 #945682

thanks very much

• The thread ‘Best scenic train trip from Lucerne on last day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.