Best short Lavaux walking routes

• Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    14 July 2021 at 11:21:19 #825936

Can someone recommend a good route through Lavaux that isn’t quite as long as Lutry to Espesses? My teen is recovering from a sprained ankle and while it’s almost back to 100%, a 2 hr walk is too long. We’d prefer about half that length but still want to see some of recommended villages. Because we have teens (and a dog) stopping for wine sampling doesn’t need to be on the list but we’d like to stop to eat at an outdoor restaurant along the way if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2021 at 12:14:37 #935695

Hi Xpresso,

My fav route is from Chexbres to Rivaz (train station to train station). It is downhill and takes around 25-30 mins by an easy walk. There are some wine tasting places in Rivaz but they often closed. Lavaux Vinorama is a great place to try wines and it has better opening times. If you go there like Chexbres station – Lavaux Vinorama – Rivaz station that will be a 2,3 km long walk, so still not too long.

This thread might be useful for you too: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/how-do-visits-to-wineries-work-in-lavaux

Also read about the Lavaux Express and the Wine Train here: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culinary/dineonthemove (under “Special culinary rides, trains and wagons”).

I hope that helps,
    Ildiko

More about the Lavaux region: http://www.myswissalps.com/lakegeneva/

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    14 July 2021 at 15:06:25 #935696

Great, thank you!

I found that you had posted this route before as well. Is the walk to the Vevey train station a long one?

from Lausanne to Vevey by steam boat

from Vevey to Chexbres by train (you need to walk to the train station or you can take a bus in Vevey)

from Chexbres walk down to Rivaz (lovely walk through the Unesco heritage Lavaux vineyard)

from Rivaz take the train back to Lausanne

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    14 July 2021 at 15:25:28 #935697

I think I found it…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2021 at 19:38:23 #935698

Yes, that is it.

But you can skip the boat part and go to Chexbres by train. From Vevey harbour (Vevey-Marché (lac)) to Vevey train station it is a 10 min walk as far as I remember.

Ildiko

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    14 July 2021 at 20:04:32 #935699

I think we might take the boat on that route to Vevey because we were originally going to go to Yvoire by boat but I don’t think we can get into France with our US CDC vaccine cards. Bummer because I love the town of Yvoire and wanted to show my husband who has never been. Next time…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2021 at 8:18:31 #935700

When are you travelling? I think if you should sta flexible and see how things are going. A) plan could be Yvoire and B) plan Vevey by boat. Vevey is a beautiful little town too, home of Nestlé with some very interesting museums, but not that charming (compared to Yvoire). But the view from Lavaux is amazing, do not miss that 🙂

Ildiko

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    15 July 2021 at 12:13:04 #935701

Ok thanks. We go this Sunday to Switzerland for 3+ weeks, starting in Lausanne for a week because I have family there. Where is the vaccine card check point to go on the boat to Yvoire? Is it at the boat dock on the Switzerland side or is it upon arrival in Yvoire? Because if it’s at the Lausanne dock maybe I can just go over to the dock and ask if we’re allowed to go to Yvoire.

Anna
    6376 posts
    16 July 2021 at 5:36:44 #935702

Hi Xpresso,

I think you will be asked to show some documents before you board the boats in Lausanne. If you are not sure, I’m sure the boat personnels will be happy to answer your questions.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Best short Lavaux walking routes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.