Best time of year for panorama trains

Best time of year for panorama trains

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
suevogt
suevogt
2 posts
Jan 16, 2017 - 8:39 PM

My husband and I are planning a trip to take the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and William Tell express. What is the best time of year to go for best weather and views. We don't want to have a ton of snow! We went to Zermatt on a tour once, and couldn't see the Matterhorn because of poor weather.

Any info is appreciated.

Susan

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
Jan 17, 2017 - 7:51 AM in reply to suevogt

Hi Susan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Unfortunately, weather in the mountains here can change quickly and drastically at any time of year.
You're best bet for good weather and less snow would be to travel in late July or August.

Take a look at our weather information page here for more details.

Lucas

Last modified on Jan 17, 2017 - 7:52 AM by Lucas
suevogt
suevogt
2 posts
Jan 17, 2017 - 12:12 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks! I saw some posts on Trip Advisor that recommend late September for the fall colors. What do you think about that time of year?

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
Jan 17, 2017 - 4:44 PM in reply to suevogt

Yes, it's fair to say September can also be nice - I haven't been there at that time of year though (only winter) so I can't speak too much about it.

Lucas

Arno
Arno
10344 posts
expert &
Jan 17, 2017 - 5:54 PM in reply to suevogt

Hi Susan,

In general September is very nice: less tourists than in summer, still quite warm, and not too much rain (on average). For fall colors I'd prefer mid October, although it also depends on location and the weather of the season. Here's some more information about the seasons: myswissalps.com/ besttimetovisit.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018