Best train pass and suggestions on Itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2011 at 2:58:36 #804595

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Switzerland 25 to 31st August. We arrive in Basel airport in the morning at 10 am and plan to catch the train to Lucerne and arrive at mid day. Our current itinerary is as follows:

25, 26th Aug 2 nights in Lucerne (Plan to go to Mount Titlis) – not sure if we will have time to go to Mount Pilatus. Is it possible to do both Mount Pilatus and Mount Titlis within these 2 days?

27th, 28th 2 night stay at Interlaken. 27th am train to Interlaken and visit Schilthorne/Trummelbach falls. 28th am visit Jungfrauch.

29th and 30th Aug 2 nights in Chur

29th am travel to Brig to board Glacier express and travel to Chur.

30th am Chur to Tirano and return on Bernina express

31st – travel to Zurich and onwards to Basel

I will be grateful for your advice on the best train pass for us. Also would value your suggestions about the itinerary. Is it possible to add anything further or is this too tight?

Thanks,
    Anand

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 August 2011 at 6:26:17 #833836

Hello mithranand, and welcome to the forum! As you’ll be traveling quite a lot throughout the country, I’d say an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass would be a good choice. It allows free traveling in train, bus and boat on all days of your trip and discounts on cable cars (such as Titlis and Pilatus) and mountain trains (such as Jungfraujoch). Please find all specifics and purchase options at the Swiss Pass page. Don’t forget to fill out your country in the upper right corner for up to date prices.

Your itinerary looks fine. Yes, you can easily visit both Pilatus and Titlis within two days. Just spend one day on Pilatus and one on Titlis. Pilatus is very close to Lucerne and can be combined with a boat ride over the lake if you wish. Just enter your trips in the timetable to find out about traveling times. I wouldn’t add further trips if I were you. This travel scheme allows you to explore large parts of the country already.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2011 at 11:08:49 #833837

Hi Annika,

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Anand

• The thread ‘Best train pass and suggestions on Itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.