Best way to travel

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
alisonfoo
alisonfoo
7 posts
Mar 18, 2012 - 5:04 AM
Hi,

My partner and I will be travelling to switzerland in early april for 5 days and my plan is as follows:

day 1 - fly into zurich and spend the day exploring zurich
day 2 - travel from Zurich to luzern and mt rigi
day 3 - travel from luzern to interlaken (golden pass) and lauterbrunnen (trummelbach falls)
day 4 - lauterbrunnen (jungfrajoch)
day 5 - travel from lauterbrunnen to venice (italy).

Initially I bought the 4 day swiss pass at the 1 for 1 promotion, thinking that we would not need it on Day 1, but instead can use it from day 2-5. However, just about a week ago, I realised we are actually flying into Zurich on 6 April Good Friday and our hotel has advised us that none of the shops or attractions will be open. As such, we are thinking of spending Day 1 shopping at Foxtown Mendriosio.

(a) Can someone let me know whether the swiss pass provide 50% discount on days on which the pass has not been activated? i.e. if i only activate the 4 day pass for day 2 to 5, can I get 50% discount on my rides on day 1?

(b) if not, is it more economical to use it for day 1-4? or day 2-5? I recognise that the flexi pass will be useful in such a situation but did not envision it when I was planning the trip.

Will really welcome any suggestions and many thanks in advance!
Annika
Annika
6101 posts
expert &
Mar 19, 2012 - 3:38 PM

Hi alisonfoo! The 4 day Swiss Pass is valid from the 1st activated travel day on, so there are no discounts before or after those 4 days. Zurich-Airport-Mendrisio costs CHF 69 per person (single trip) and Lauterbrunnen-Domodossola (the station up to which the Swiss Pass would be valid) CHF 59.20. So it's best to use your Swiss Pass for day 1-4, especially if you want to get back from Mendrisio to Lucerne that same day.

Are you aware that Zurich Airport-Mendrisio is a long trip, requiring 3 to 4 hours? Connections can be checked in the timetable.

I hope this helps you out!

Last modified on Nov 1, 2018 - 4:17 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019