Best way to travel from Zermatt to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2016 at 16:00:35 #808638

Hi all,

I need some help with the above. I am travelling from Florence, Italy to Zermatt by train. From there on, I intend to travel to Interlaken.

Is the following the best route to take: Zermatt —-> Brig (via Glacier Express) followed by train from Brig —–> Interlaken?

Alternatively, I can make Brig my base as I travel from Florence, and then take a day trip from Brig to Zermatt. And then travel from Brig to interlaken.

Out of the above, which would be a better option?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 March 2016 at 6:49:11 #849480

Hi Jascheong, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Zermatt to Brig is indeed the Glacier Express route, but I would not take the actual Glacier Express. You can travel by any of the local trains and avoid the reservation fee for that 1 hour ride.

From Brig, you can take the local train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg to Spiez, and change for Interlaken there. That’s the most scenic route. If you just want the quickest way to Interlaken you do not stay on the train until Brig but get off in Visp and change to the InterCity train to Spiez there. It crosses a long tunnel, so no views there. All options are in the timetable.

Brig and Zermatt are very different places. Brig is a centrally located larger town, near but not in the mountains. You can go to lots of different places there, also based on the weather forecast. Zermatt is isolated, car free, and in the mountains. A stunning place, but you’ll have to focus on the local trails and activities there. Please see:

• The thread ‘Best way to travel from Zermatt to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.