Best/optimum use of 8 days swiss pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 December 2013 at 4:31:49 #806216

optimum use of swiss pass to plan 8 days itinerary so that no extra/additional cost incurred other than swiss pass cost unless absolutely mandatory or notcovered by swiss pass such as any surcharges. we plan to buy 08 days swiss rail pass

we plan to stay at luzerne only for 5 nights in apartment hotel and balance 02 nights at hotel in geneva to cover switzerland in 8 days for big family of 07 including 03 kids aged 13/13/17 and balance 02 couples

1) best way to travel and visit jungfroch using swiss pass least additional cost incurred
    2) bestway to travel and visit mount titlis using swiss pass
    3 ) visit to rhine falls using swiss pass
    4) minimum 04hours train journey on any scenic train using swiss pass max extent plus ride also scenic n enjoyable. which scenic train u recommend staying in lucerne. enjoyable plus not much extra cost.
    5) plan to visit chochlate and cheese factory is chochlate train the only option available . what do u sugggest with swiss pass
    6) we wann to enjoy free boat ride too minimum two hours using swiss pass benefits in any lake. which do u suggest and recommend
    7) we wann to cover lucerne interlaken and geneva zurich lausanne on ourown atleast city tour using swiss pass only at ourconevenience. no guided tour or package tour just exploring city on our own. birds eye view of the city like zurich and indepth geneva n lausanne during our exclusivestay in geneva city

main aim is to minimise cost and taking maximum advantage of free benefits of swiss rail pass and discounts especially for jungfroch/titlis only as its not free.

i expect u to suggest me the shortest route to travel to destinations using swiss pass for sight seeing mentioned above so that minimum additinal cost is incurred only when necesasry else it must be totally free

regards prasad joag india bombay

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 December 2013 at 6:00:48 #839412

Hello Prasad, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

All Swiss Pass information can be found on the Swiss Pass page. That includes a downloadable map of what’s covered for free and what’s discounted. Prices in INR are here. Public transport timetables are all here. Hotels close to the rail stations and attractions can be found here. The mentioned pages should help you to do most of your planning. As for you questions:

1) 2) See the timetable for how to travel. Discounted tickets for the Jungfrau can be purchased at any rail station by presenting your pass. Discounted Titlis tickets can be purchased at the cable car station upon presenting your pass.
    3) You can best travel to the rail station ‘Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall’. See the timetable. The trip is free with your pass.
    4) I would suggest to take the Golden Pass route to travel from Lucerne to Geneva: Lucerne – Interlaken Ost via Meiringen, Interlaken Ost – Zweisimmen, Zweisimmen – Montreux and finally Montreux – Geneva. Details are in the timetable. You don’t need reservations/surcharges.
    5) You don’t need to book the Chocolate Train. You can also visit the factories on your own by traveling with your Swiss Pass from Geneva.
    6) There are various trips from Lucerne. They’re free with your pass. Lucerne to Flüelen is a great longer one. Also you can take a boat from Lucerne to Vitznau and take the train up the Rigi mountain there. This is all free with your pass.
    7) Interlaken is not worth a city tour. There isn’t much to see; it’s the surroundings that are interesting. The other cities can be explored on foot from the rail station at your own pace. Additional city transport, if needed, is included in the Swiss Pass. I would advice not to spend too much time on cities, but rather on the Alps. Lucerne is worth exploring though, but you will see it anyway since you’ll stay there.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 December 2013 at 10:46:35 #839413

thanks Arno for prompt response

regarding jungfroch and mount titlis am still confused alot. since my first visit to europe as such so more anxiety.

staying in lucerene how do we plan these trips. which is the best station to get down and then travel by cable car. how do we approach for jungfroch from lucerene and similarly for mount titlis.

geneva what u meant was the choclate factory we can visit by swiss rail pass using other train and compulsorily not chochlate train. please clarify. am i right in understanding or u wann us to visit some other chochlate factory around geneva.if so can u suggest any option to us.

u have suggested to concentrate on alps not cities. can u suggest us one or two more sight seeing options which u would recommend us to go

thanks again prasad joag

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 December 2013 at 1:26:45 #839414

Hello Prasad,

If you fill out ‘Jungfraujoch’ or ‘Kleintitlis’ as your destination in the timetable, you’ll see all details of those trips. Click on the plus icon of one of the connections to see where to change and more details.

Yes, I meant to do the trips to the same factories by other, regular trains that do not need to be booked. You can enter ‘Broc-Fabrique’ as your destination for the chocolate factory, and ‘Gruyères’ as your destination for the cheese factory.

I would suggest to do some hiking, and also the Rigi I mentioned before. It offers great views and it’s free with your pass. Enter ‘Rigi Kulm’ in the timetable for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2013 at 6:08:07 #839415

hi Arno

thanks for the response.
    another simple doubt

how do i divide my itinerary of sight seeing for places to be viisited exclusively
    1) during stay at lucerene only
    2) during stay at geneva only
    to avoid duplication of time energy and efforts travelling up and down unnecessarily .. what do u suggest pls how do divide the itinerarry
    jungfroch
    titlis
    rhine falls
    chochlate factory n cheese factory
    rigi mountains trip
    scenic train journey one day or half day

boat ride or excursion

pls do let me know the simple solution to cover all the places and from where geneva or luzern

prasad joag

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 December 2013 at 9:13:41 #839416

Hi Prasad,

Basically you can just check the timetable for traveling times to the places on your list. Be sure to correctly spell the names into the timetable: Lucerne or Luzern, Jungfraujoch, etc, or you may get a different or no trip suggestion. I would do the factories from Geneva. A boat trip can be done from both towns. The scenic train ride is your transfer from Lucerne to Geneva. The rest can best be done from Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2013 at 23:18:02 #839417

thanks sir for the quick response and guidance i appreciate ur promptness sir

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2013 at 10:11:25 #839418

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

just wann to know more about jungfroch and mount titlis. i have heard that at times due weather and climatic changes and height we gain we may face breathing problems. in short altitude sickness. we are family and plan to tarvel in sept 14 around 20thsept14. any medications or precautions especially to be taken for jungroch and mount titlis travel can u guide me on this aspect. how do we decide its safe to to go ahead. should we confrim the weather and climatic conditions at the base. can u suggest some precautions to be observed and medication to be carriied specially for this visit with us for mount jungfroch/mount titlis

prasad joag india mumbai

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 December 2013 at 2:45:23 #839419

Hi Prasad,

If you’re healthy and don’t travel with children under 2 years old, no special precautions are needed. You will notice that the air is thinner but if you just take things slow you’ll be fine. More information is here. You should check the weather before going up, to make sure you won’t end up in a cloud and see nothing; that would be a waste of time. You need clear weather to fully enjoy the experience.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2013 at 4:13:27 #839420

thanks Arno for guidance i appreciate the advice.

one more doubt lots of confusion in my mind for adult cost per person with swiss rail pass to jungfroch if we go via engelberg station. total 25% discount for swiss pass holders to top of jungfroch. how is the total cost arrived at to get this 25% discount. certain legs of journey ur swiss pass valid for travel. how do we get this correct information on calcuation of exact fees/cost for two way journey from engelberg to top of jungfroch using swiss rail pass. whats route and legs where swiss pass valid and how is the balance cost added to arrive at the total cost and then 25% discount on that

prasad i hope u get my doubt/query correctly thugh i may not be able to explain it to the point.

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 December 2013 at 4:29:48 #839421

Hi Prasad,

Engelberg is at the base of the Titlis, not the Jungfrau. You can best download the Swiss Pass map I mentioned before; it shows all the details you need to know (free traveling to Wengen or Grindelwald, 25% off from there). Prices are at the Jungfrau Railways website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2014 at 1:13:09 #839422

hi Arno

thanks for correction base is interlaken ost for jungfroch. let me see the map too prasad

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    1 January 2014 at 5:58:58 #839423

Hello Prasad,

The map Arno means can be found on this page. It’s a downloadable PDF-file, just click the link.

Just for the record: it’s spelled “Jungfraujoch” and not “Jungfroch”. Just to make things easier for you.

Have a nice time,

• The thread ‘Best/optimum use of 8 days swiss pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.