Bike storage while hiking at Oberalp pass

• Fultonsmith
    Participant
    5 posts
    9 October 2021 at 0:15:38 #826168

Hi,

A friend and I are hoping to cycle the Rhine Route (EV15) in August 2022. We are flying into Zurich from Australia then a train to begin the ride in Oberalpasse. Before we begin the descent we’d like to hike to the source of the Rhine at Lake Toma. As we won’t be staying in Oberalpasse the night before is there somewhere we could safely store our bikes and panniers/gear for a few hours while we walk thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    9 October 2021 at 6:21:31 #936840

Hi Fultonsmith,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

There is a train station near the start of that hike where you can park your bike. The station should also have lockers if you need to store your belongings for a few hours.

Some useful tips on hiking in the mountains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Regards,

Anna

Fultonsmith
    Participant
    5 posts
    9 October 2021 at 6:54:59 #936841

Thank you Anna. Very much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2021 at 23:06:54 #936842

As I recall the station at Oberalppass is quite spartan. Although I’ve seen references to ‘bike parking’ I don’t remember seeing anything. However there is a Restaurant whose staff may be willing to look after your gear for a few hours.

Fultonsmith
    Participant
    5 posts
    22 October 2021 at 1:37:53 #936843

Thanks 1960man,

Great idea – a meal and beer afterwards would be a great way to return the favour!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2021 at 22:22:08 #936844

Last time I was there I just had a glass of green tea on the terrace in the sunshine! After a paddle in the Oberalpsee that is.

• The thread ‘Bike storage while hiking at Oberalp pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.