Biking in murten through the vegetable path

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2011 at 23:04:59 #804427

This forum has been great in giving a lot of information.
    Would like to know more about the biking in Murten.It sounds like a great idea for a family with kids to go around.Not able to get more info about it though.Can we rent the bikes in Murten and how is the vegetable trail.Is it doable for a family of 4 ,2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 5

Thanks very much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    6 June 2011 at 5:43:03 #833278

Hi Sarah23

I am not familiar with the vegetable path, but it seems that you will find what you are looking for here.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2011 at 7:44:32 #833279

Thank you Wandermann.That website is indeed helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2011 at 14:42:43 #833280

About that vegetable path, I remember walking around the outside of the ramparts, outside the wall, and seeing beautiful gardens of flowers and vegetables growing, almost like a fairy tale dream. Perhaps this is what you are looking for? I don’t remember how I got there, perhaps just looking around outside the walled town.
    Also, when you walk on the ramparts, there are beautiful gardens inside, looking down into the courtyard area. I remember a parrot in a cage whistling at me as I walked, and didn’t know who was calling me, until I investigated and found a stairway going down into that beautiful garden area. I located the parrot and he suddenly became very quiet when i walked up to his cage.
    So there are beautiful gardens both inside and outside the walled in area.
    Enjoy! i am on my way there in less than three weeks.
    joanne

Annika
    7104 posts
    24 June 2011 at 11:14:17 #833281

Hi joanne! Thank you for sharing that information with sarah23 and other forum visitors. It’s great that you’ll be visiting Switzerland on such short term. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2011 at 14:14:41 #833282

Hi Joanne – which town’s ramparts did you walk around when you saw those gardens? It sounds like a nice idea for a day when the clouds are too low for views from mountain tops! Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2011 at 3:20:53 #833283

Hii joanne,
    Thanks very much .Is murten the same town you are talking about.We are looking forward to this.Your info has been very helpful.There are not many reviews given about the vegetable trail over the net.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2011 at 6:01:59 #833284

[quote]sarah23 said: Hii joanne,
    Thanks very much .Is murten the same town you are talking about.We are looking forward to this.Your info has been very helpful.There are not many reviews given about the vegetable trail over the net.[/quote]

I’m not surprised, we’ve lived here ten years and I’ve never heard of it! It’s a market garden area between three lakes so the soil is very fertile, a lot of the vegetables we eat in Switzerland are from around here. Right now strawberries are being picked and sold.

It’s a nice area and there’s a lot to see but riding through the vegetable fields isn’t particularly interesting. I presume the town walls mentioned are those at Murten (Morat) but it’s a common enough thing around here, Avenches and Romont are pretty much the same.

Avenches is the former capital of Roman Switzerland and there’s a lot of things left to see, particularly the amphitheatre where there’s about to be an opera festival followed by a rock festival. St. Petersinsel is also worth seeing, it’s an island/peninsula and a nice walk. There’s a butterfly Museum just near Murten which I’ve not visited but it seems popular.

Bikes can be rented from the station at Murten but you should book in advance, http://www.rent-a-bike.ch/, at weekends and holidays a lot of people from Bern visit and rent the bikes.

In fact, you can get an idea of the scenery from these videos, one if from the SlowUp where we close all roads and 60,000+ people come and cycle round Lac Morat/Murtensee and the other is just me messing around with a helmet-cam near the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBz2hC2RBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJV7oCHYZw

(oops, just accidentally “reported” the post instead of replying)

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 June 2011 at 6:17:51 #833285

That’s great info, SwissMountainLeader! Thanks a lot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2011 at 6:34:03 #833286

Those videos are indeed helpful in getting a picture of the place.This is our first trip.We decided to take this biking trail as we could complete it in half a day as we have 2 kids too along with us and a full day or a longer biking trip might turn too tiring for them.I have reserved the bikes at Murten.hoping to get more information once we reach there .Maybe we can do a cycling trip along the lake or vineyards.Did see a couple of cycling trails around the lake area.

Thank you Swiss mountain leader!

• The thread ‘Biking in murten through the vegetable path’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.