Boarding Glacier Express- Starting from Zug/Lucern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2011 at 12:05:00 #804660

Hi,

I would be visiting Switzerland along with my wife during Sep 2-8, 2011.

I would be arriving in Zurich on 2nd early morning. I would be staying in Zug for two nights(2nd and 3rd), Lucerne (4th Night) , Interlaken(5th and 6th) and Zurich(7th). Since we are arriving early morning in Zurich, I was thinking of dropping baggage at the hotel in zug and proceeding to board the glacier express at andermatt and travel all the way to chur/st. moritz. I did visit the glacier express website and tried to collect info on which section of the route i have to buy a ticket and on which sections I have to buy a reservation. I have a swiss pass for 8 days. I am still confused.

Would like to know if it would be feasible to travel from zug/lucerne to st. moriz/davos and back on the same day. While taking onward journey i can board at andermatt and travel till davos/st. moriz and come back to zug via-chur-zurich-zug/lucern.

Pl. advise on the reservations/ticket for boarding glacier express from andermatt coming from zug/lucern.

thanks.
    Saty

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2011 at 21:04:44 #834074

Saty
    The section from Goschenen to Andermatt to Disentis is not covered by the Swiss Pass however you will get a discount. The Glacier Express requires seat reservations for all sections. There are also regional trains on the same route that do not need seat reservations and the scenery is the same. Check http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html for schedule.

Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2011 at 2:39:54 #834075

Thanks.

I guess then that taking regional trains also mean that this particular section from Goschenen Andermatt to Disentis will require buying a ticket, although at a discount and covering all the way upto st. moriz may require one/two changes(of trains) along the way.

regards,
    Saty

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2011 at 10:56:27 #834076

Saty
    Yes you will have to buy a ticket for Goschenen to Andermatt to Disentis. If you take the regional trains you will have to change in Andermatt, Disentis, and Riechenau.

Dick

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 August 2011 at 12:30:12 #834077

Hi,

Regarding tickets: a Eurail Pass would not cover Göschenen – Andermatt – Disentis, but a Swiss Pass allows free traveling there. Please see the map linked from the Swiss Pass page. So you do not need to buy tickets!

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Boarding Glacier Express- Starting from Zug/Lucern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.