Timetable boat ride from Thun to Spiez

Timetable boat ride from Thun to Spiez

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 8, 2018 - 9:13 PM

Hi we will be going from Basel to crans Montana and would like to take a scenic boat ride on the way from what I read on this website it is recommended to take from Thun to spiez … I tried searching online and could not find the exact route on line neither the timetable ... any recommendations and/or route advice would be highly appreciate also is it feasible to go with one piece of luggage on the boat?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 8, 2018 - 9:24 PM in reply to Abelefko1

You should find what you need here www.interlaken.ch/en/c ruises-lake-thun-and-lake-brienz.html.

Please note that the number of boat trips is severely limited in winter.

Baggage would be no problem but note the Spiez Station is a good 10 minute walk up hill from the dock. There is a bus.

Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 8, 2018 - 9:43 PM in reply to rockoyster

I have seen that site from my searches...no routes or timetable

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 8, 2018 - 9:49 PM in reply to Abelefko1

Follow the link on left of that page to www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/fahrplan

Or use advanced search in SBB timetable and limit to boats.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 8, 2018 - 9:55 PM in reply to rockoyster

Only 1 trip per day see attached.

Please login to see the attached documents
Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 8, 2018 - 9:59 PM in reply to rockoyster

Oh wow you’re awesome!! I searched and searched!!! Thanks 🙏

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 9, 2018 - 12:28 AM in reply to Abelefko1

When are you traveling?

Slowpoke

Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 9, 2018 - 8:31 AM in reply to Slowpoke

End of January...doesn’t look feasible for a stop on the way...maybe we will come for a day trip

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 9, 2018 - 9:11 AM in reply to Abelefko1

<<"End of January...doesn’t look feasible for a stop on the way...maybe we will come for a day trip">>

Of the lakes between Basel and Crans-Montana, the two near Interlaken are the most obvious, but have little Winter service, as you note.

You might go to the Rhone Valley from Basel via Lausanne and Montreux.

There is limited lake boat service on Lac Leman ( Lake Geneva) in the Winter:

www.cgn.ch/media/31690 6/affiche-horaire-hiver-2018.pdf

More out of the way, Lake Lucerne has Winter service:

www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Slowpoke

Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 9, 2018 - 6:08 PM in reply to Slowpoke

What would be your recommend route? Where to get on/off

Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 9, 2018 - 6:10 PM in reply to Abelefko1

Forgot to mention that we have a saver day pass so cost is not in consideration

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 9, 2018 - 6:13 PM in reply to Abelefko1

<<"What would be your recommend route? Where to get on/off">>

Which lake?

How are you traveling...car or train?

How much time do you have?

You can do a bit of checking with the maps on those websites, their schedules, and the SBB timetable, particularly if you are traveling by train.

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 9, 2018 - 7:25 PM in reply to Slowpoke

I’m sorry... Basel to crans Montana by train . As you mentioned Lausanne is a better option...what routes?

Last modified on Jan 9, 2018 - 7:26 PM by Abelefko1
rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 10, 2018 - 12:30 AM in reply to Abelefko1

If you go via fastest route Basel - Crans-Montana via Visp consider at least in one direction going via Kandersteg. It's a bit longer but you will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Assuming you are returning to Basel you could go via Kandersteg one way and via Lausanne the other for a bit of variety.

Last modified on Jan 10, 2018 - 12:34 AM by rockoyster
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 10, 2018 - 12:52 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster-

They want a boat ride.

Connect them on Lake Geneva?

Slowpoke

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Jan 10, 2018 - 1:43 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

The reason the boat timetables on lakes are very limited in winter is a fair indication of how popular such excursions are. Wouldn't you agree? I wouldn't be going out of my way for a boat ride in the dead of winter.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 10, 2018 - 8:15 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockoyster -

<<"The reason the boat timetables on lakes are very limited in winter is a fair indication of how popular such excursions are. Wouldn't you agree?">>

To each his own.

And fewer tourists to get in your way. The views of the mountains with snow on them can be pretty. However, my guess is that many the potential riders are busy skiing, which is not as easy to do in the Summer, is it?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Jan 10, 2018 - 8:49 AM in reply to Abelefko1

Hi Abelefko1-

I took a look at the CGN timetable.

The map on that page makes the obvious suggestions visible. However, without knowing how much time you have, and what day of the week you are traveling, it is hard to make choices.

The route from Lausanne to Montreux ( or Vevey) would logically fit in your journey. Optionally, you could also consider routes N1 and N2, because Lausanne is the most obvious port along the route of your journey at which to transfer to a boat.

Those routes in the northern and eastern part of the lake would have particularly scenic nice views, but any ride on the lake has nice views.

Study of the timetable shows that that particular route (or sections of it) only runs on Sundays and public holidays. It is served by an old restored steam-powered paddlewheeler. However, if I interpret the timetable notes correctly, the steamer is not used on runs from January 8 to February 1.

Since the note is a bit obscure to me, I'd give them a call, or an e-mail. You would not want to find that the correct meaning is that NO boat runs on those days. ;-)

You can look at the map and the remaining schedules yourself. Any other route would require a deviation from your journey. Some of the routes available on weekdays would be a round trip to/from one location, such as the routes labelled N1 and N2.

The hours for those routes (N1, N2) clearly are designed for people commuting back and forth to work across the lake, and have a substantial gap in the middle of the day.

That's the best I can do. Possibly, someone else will jump in to add information. Otherwise, you'll have to work the boat timetable your self, since you know how much time you have, and what day. You can coordinate with the SBB timetable for your train schedule, or even use the advanced version to string together the entire trip, as noted in the link that I provided earlier in the thread.

Slowpoke

Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 10, 2018 - 9:12 AM in reply to rockoyster

I tried looking it up and I’m a little confused...which stop to get off /on to experience this train ?

Abelefko1
Abelefko1
31 posts
Jan 10, 2018 - 9:14 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Ok . I really appreciate it !

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018