Timetable boat ride from Thun to Spiez

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 January 2018 at 9:32:04 #873871

<<“I tried looking it up and I’m a little confused…which stop to get off /on to experience this train ?”>>

I don’t understand your question. If I take it literally as you have written it, the answer is get on the train at Basel and get off at Lausanne, if the possibly available boat that goes to Montreux matches your schedule needs. Ride the boat to Montreux. Get on the train at Montreux and get off at Sierre. Transfer to a bus. Ride to Crans/ Montana.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 9:44:20 #873872

HI slowspoke.

rockoyster suggested a train ride might be an interesting experience. So I tried figuring out where to get on /off

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2018 at 10:09:28 #873873

When going from Basel to Crans-Montana just add via Kandersteg to the SBB Timetable search.

You will end up following route as attached.

WARNING: Does not involve any boat rides! If you are desperate for a winter boat ride seek additional advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 10:20:11 #873874

Thanks for all the help! After some deliberation we decided that it will be more enjoyable to do boat ride as a separate day trip. So we will probably do the regio train.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2018 at 10:35:18 #873875

We know you are going from Basel to Crans-Montana. I’m guessing, and this a long shot, to ski. If we knew what the rest of your travel plans were we might ge able to offer some advice to help satisfy your boating needs.

Crans-M is not the ideal base for an on-lake experience day trip. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 11:48:14 #873876

Actually we will probably not be doing much skiing as we have a half-year-old baby… For specific reasons we want to go specifically to crans Montana. But we will see what is feasible for day trips…boats,walks….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:16:09 #873877

hi i see that it says on that train “bk fl” do you know what that means ? “buy with supplement ” ? we have a saver day pass. thanks !

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:33:14 #873878

Are you talking about the Regio-Express Lötschberger? I see BK and R. BK I don’t know. R means reservations possible ( but not mandatory). You will be fine with SDP.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2018 at 22:43:30 #873879

Hi Rockoyster.

See attached. Read all the way to the bottom.

I tried tolookit up, but could not quickly find anything.

Here is my interpretation.

Starting a few years ago, the conductors no longer could sell you a ticket after you were on board the train. It became necessary to have either a ticket or railpas or both s before you got on board; previously, you could hop on and pay the conductor.

I think that

“Buy your ticket on the train ( with supplement)”

means that you have the unusual privilege of being able to buy your ticket on the train, but you will have to pay extra, as a supplemet to the regular ticket price.

That is my best guess.

The coverage map would probably give a clue, too.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

It shows that the STP is valid, as you note.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 23:08:42 #873880

I read the legend…that’s what I’m nervous about. Anyone has taken this train in the past? Does it cost extra??

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2018 at 23:17:51 #873881

Trust the map I linked to.

I have ridden it many times and there was no extra charge.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2018 at 23:19:40 #873882

Hi Slowpoke.

Nice work!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 23:34:21 #873883

Thanks!! You’re awesome!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2018 at 23:45:43 #873884

Thanks.

The tools are there, but it is hard to remebr which ones and what they help with.

Futher thoughts on my interpretation – I’d guess that a supplement for buying a ticket on the trains might be 5-10 CHF or so. They really don’t want people to buy on the trains.

Next step would be to send a query to to the SBB. The link for that is on their main website.

Another bet-

Alpenrose knows where to find the answer 😉

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 1:42:09 #873885

Word of warning. If you are coming through from Basel then watch out for a connection at Bern with a symbol with an arrow going two ways next to it. See attached.

The train splits in two when it reaches Spiez. The front half (from memory) continues to Brig, the back half goes to Zweisimmen. Just make sure you get on the right end in Bern. It should be sign-posted. If not ask a conducter.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 2:12:28 #873886

Hi Slowpoke,

I still use the legacy SBB timetable (fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en) to look stuff up. I stuck with it because the new timetable search didn;t show maps. But now it does. Maybe I’d better get with the times?

When I was looking at what BK meant earlier I was using an iPad. On a desktop when you hover over the code it shows the meaning; but not on the iPad.

I wonder if the BK “concession” is because the train is operated by BLS and not SBB? Or does BLS only operate the car transport Kandersteg to Goppenstein? So many questions, so little time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 January 2018 at 2:30:30 #873887

Hi Rockoyster-

<<“I still use the legacy SBB timetable to look stuff up. Maybe I’d better get with the times?”>>

Use what you will. I use that and the paper book, now slightly obsolete. And other sources.

However, it seems to me that the standard to be applied on the Forum, is what will the customer (the person posting) see?

So, for the purpose of answers here, it is more desirable to use what MySwissAlps has in its links, what the person posting can see without having to work at it, or paraphrase.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 9:56:06 #873888

Yes exactly.

BK = BilleteKauf (im Zug möglich mit Zuschlag). So if you don’t have a ticket before boarding you can buy one on the train from the conductor (they don’t want the conductor to be bothered with selling tickets so they charge you 5-10 chf to cover their time).

If you already have a ticket or a rail pass then there is no extra charge on the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2018 at 8:43:30 #873889

So guys last minute…see attachment!! Does this mean my plans are doomed??

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 January 2018 at 9:48:59 #873890

Looks like you might have to go through the tunnel to Visp. ‘It happens. 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • The thread ‘Timetable boat ride from Thun to Spiez’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.