Breithorn snow trail difficulty

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2012 at 7:34:24 #805500

Hello,
    I want to ask about the path from Klein Matterhorn up to Breithorn in the middle of August (2012), if it’s possible to go without any proffesional climbing equipment (e. g. climbing irons, ice axe, rope etc.). We are group of 8 adults in a good shape (At least we think so haha), with normal hiking clothes. So, my question is, if we can handle the trail like this or what do we need for it?

Thanks for answers, advices

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2012 at 9:51:34 #836828

No, sorry! It’s a high alpine glacier and crevassed. You each need ice axe, crampons and to be roped together. You’ll also need an assortment of slings, carabiners, ice screws and the ability to rig anchors and rescue systems.

The guides bureau in town offer trips for a few francs or you can get a private guide for half a day. It is an easy walk, there’s a couple of minor variants which add interest but you will need to be equipped for the environment.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2012 at 10:14:01 #836829

Oh, thanks for the answer, although disappoiting one.
    Well, I was on Klein Matterhorn 4 years ago and the plain from where you start climbing up to Breithorn was kinda crowded with not so well equipped people, but maybe they havent gone all the way up to Breithorn. Also, from pictures on the internet, it doesn’t look like a regular dangerous glacier with deep crevices, seems more like a normal snow path, thats why I thought we can go there.
    You proved me wrong, but hey would be cool to hear another opinions aswell.. 🙂

Annika
    7121 posts
    3 August 2012 at 6:12:49 #836830

Hi CuriousPetrik. I agree with SwissMountainLeader: you should do this only with the proper amount of alpine experience, the right gear and/or at least a guide. Underestimating trails, or overestimating your own capacities, is one of the main reasons why hikers get injured and even killed each year. Glaciers may look innocent from a distance, but they’re definitely not. There are lots of beautiful and safer hiking alternatives though! This page may be a good starting point. Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2012 at 7:17:34 #836831

OK then, if you both say so, we will skip the Breithorn, we have planned a several not that risky hikes, so it’s not a biggie, though the Breithorn is supposed to be one of the easiest 4.000meters peaks and that’s why it’s so tempting!

• The thread ‘Breithorn snow trail difficulty’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.