Hiking from Brienzer Rothorn to Turren cable car

• Gysh
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 June 2019 at 16:59:26 #822168

I am really looking forward to my upcoming Switzerland trip in a few weeks. I will have 5 days in Basel (work related) and then 7 days in the Jungfrau region. I had made reservations for 2 days in Meiringen and 5 days in Wengen.

I made the Meiringen reservations because I wanted to spend a day taking the Gelmerbahn and hiking around the Gelmersee and also a day hiking to the Trift Bridge. It appears that these areas still have quite a bit of snow and they are delaying the openings due to avalanche risks. I was looking into other options in the area (if they are still closed when I get there) and would like to take the train up to the Brienzer Rothorn but then would like to do some hiking from the top. It appears that there are 2 options besides the Brienzer Rothorn train to get back down (Sorenberg cable car or Turren cable car). I am leaning towards the Turren–>Lungren cable car because the bus option from Sorenberg back to Meiringen is 2 hrs and does not run frequently whereas the train from Lungren to Meiringen runs hourly and is less than an hour ride.

Does anyone have any photos along the hike from the top rail station to the cable car at Turren. Are there long stretches where there are drop offs on both sides? Is snow usually a problem on this trail at the end of June?

I was on the SBB website looking at times for the cable car and the times are listed but you can’t purchase any tickets (even when a put in future dates) so I was concerned this wasn’t in operation either. Any information on this hike would be greatly appreciated.

On a 2nd note – I also saw that they had delayed the opening of the Schynigge Platte train (an area where I also planned to hike). This area must have gotten a lot of snow this year. I live in the New England region of the US and we got minimal snow this year (I guess it all went to you!).

Thanks again, this has been my go to site for all planning!!

Stephanie

• The thread ‘Hiking from Brienzer Rothorn to Turren cable car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11240 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.