Budget advice needed for Swiss hike

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2011 at 20:46:14 #804174

My wife and I are headed to Switzerland in September. We are so excited but a little overwhelmed. I was thinking Wengel or Murren perhaps. …

Does anyone have any good advice on figuring out (1) where to stay at a fair price – we are not looking for luxury but not a hostel either and (2) we don’t own hiking gear – do you buy it and bring it or rent it there?

Many thanks for answers to these questions or any other good advice your might have !

Allen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    23 March 2011 at 14:55:06 #832353

September is a perfect time to visit the Bernese Oberland, the weather is usually delightful. Wengen or Murren are very good choices for a home base.
    Depending on how long you plan to stay, renting a flat may be the most cost-effective choice for you. In Wengen, contact http://www.chalet-service.com. They can guide you to a number of different properties. They will rent flats for as little as three nights. The Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen is also cost-effective and receives rave reviews.

For the best outcome, you should buy your hiking gear (particularly your boots) a few weeks before you depart your home country so you can break them in. I would not want to set out on a hiking holiday with brand new shoes. It is possible to rent boots atop the Schynigge Platte, but I’m not sure that you will be able to do so anywhere else. Even if possible, it’s best to make sure your boots are comfortable before you arrive, not try to figure it out after.

• The thread ‘Budget advice needed for Swiss hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.