Buses with Saver Day Pass (Kandersteg)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 14:30:06 #819661

Hello,

We are planning to spend a couple days in the Kandersteg area as part of a larger trip. Most of our trip will be via rail and I have a good understanding how our pass/tickets work for trains.

However, with regard to busses in and around the Kandersteg area I am not sure. We will be using half farer card to purchase day saver passes for those two days. With the busses, do we just get on and go or do we need to purchase tickets at half price. If the first can we simply get on and sit down in any seat?

Thanks

Paul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2019 at 20:12:21 #903032

Hello Paul and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Just hop on buses and go with Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2019 at 1:56:00 #903033

You just get on.

Swiss buses (and local trains) operate on an honesty system, so you can just get on (even in the rearmost door ) if you have a valid ticket or pass – which you will have.

By the way, apart from the bus that parallels the railway (a rail replacement as the local trains were abolished many years ago to make way fro freight trains) buses don’t help that much in Kandersteg as it is in a narrow valley – you can walk to most places around the village in a short time

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2019 at 2:35:51 #903034

Thanks both,

@1960man I am looking at busses as we want to do some hiking but also want to go down to Balusee and back which is 7.5km each way, too much to hike after other hikes in the morning/afternoon.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 January 2019 at 7:30:08 #903035

There is a bus to Blausee, no problem. You can find all buses, trains and more here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    29 January 2019 at 10:27:00 #903036

We stayed a week in Kandersteg in 1989 (yes; 30 years ago!) and did the round trip over the Gemmi Pass.

We had two primary school children and they enjoyed themselves immensely.

The last part back into Kandersteg was on the local bus mentioned in this thread.

Kandersteg is a lovely place.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2019 at 15:12:11 #903037

Yes it is a lovely place. I was there in 1981 as a kid, Cub scout as part of a trip from Lahr, Germany. My father was CDN Army posted there for 4 years so spent we spent a fair bit of time in the Alps camping and exploring. Now I have the chance to go back with my wife and oldest daughter. We will have only a day and half in Kandersteg but looking forward to it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2019 at 1:25:38 #903038

Yes, I did the walk past the scout place last summer.

The bus along the valley (ie serving Blausee) runs once per hour; official timetable PDF is here:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/31.230.pdf

By the by it is a great disappointment that BLS will not reopen Blausee Mitholz station on the railway as it has the famous distinction of being a station where you board a southbound train to go north and vice versa (it is located on the middle level of a loop the loop section of the railway). Passenger trains were stopped to make room for heavy freight trains but the latter now mostly go through the base tunnel.

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 January 2019 at 7:48:48 #903039

Yes, that was a great station/stop! I think we once got off the train there to start a walk. At the time, only a few trains per day stopped there so it was already the end of an era.

• The thread ‘Buses with Saver Day Pass (Kandersteg)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.