buy or no buy Swisspass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2014 at 10:40:00 #806606

Hello

we are family of 2 adults and 3 kids of 1 ,8 , 12 years , visiting Swiss next 6th of sept and for 4 days .

i need help in buying decision of swiss pass or not ,did the Swiss pass apply 50% on adult and free for kids under 16Y ???, my itinerary is as follows with cost got from SBB website .i appreciate if you look if it is correct and advise me

Thanks alot

Bassem

Day 1 Geneva – Interlaken

Train without SWISS PASS = 67X2 +3X33.5= 234 CHF
    Train with one day child pass == 67X2 +3X16== 182 CHF

Train WITH SWISS PASS
    = 67 X2 X 50% discount CHF + Free kids ?? == 67 CHF

Day 2 Interlaken – (Ballenberg open Zoo )
    TRAIN WITHout SWISS PASS = 12.4×2+6.2×3=86.8 two WAY
    Zoo Tickets =66 CHF

Train WITH SWISSPASS = 12.4 + free = 24.8 CHF two way
    FREE ADMISSION

Train with swiss pass = 12.4 X2 + free = 24.8CHF two WAY

tRAIN without = 12.4×2+6.2×3=86.8 two WAY

Train with swiss pass = 12.4 X2 + free = 24.8CHF two WAY

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    26 August 2014 at 11:37:05 #840935

Hi Bassem, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your calculations are not entirely correct:

• Trains, buses and boats are free if you have a Swiss Pass. You don’t need tickets, not even discounted tickets. Only mountain transport like cable cars and cogwheel trains require discounted tickets. You can best view the map to see what’s included.
    • With a Swiss Pass, you will get a free Swiss Family Card. That allows the children to travel along for free everywhere.
    • Without a Swiss Pass, the Junior travelcard would be your best option for the 8 and 12 year old. It allows them to travel along for free. The 1 year old travels for free in any case and does not need any ticket or pass.
    • Please see the Swiss Pass page for prices, how it works, and further details.
    • Some prices you listed are slightly off. For example: Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen and return is CHF 14.80, not 12.40. See the timetable for schedules and prices.

By the way, I don’t know of a Zoo in Ballenberg. There is an open-air museum (which is free if you have a Swiss Pass).

You don’t seem to include any visit to the mountains. I would definitely recommend that, provided that the weather is good. Suggestions can be found here.

As you can see here you can get a discount on your pass. This offer expires tomorrow and is only available online, not in Switzerland.

I hope this helps you out, have a great time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2014 at 7:16:15 #840936

Dear Arno ,

I do thank you very much for your help and clarifications , your tips are highly appreciated .

yes Ballenberg is a museum not a zoo , i was wrong and definatly will take your advise to plan for the mountains as well

just small double confirmation , i see that you generalize the free travelling train using the swiss pass , does that apply on the long journey Geneva to Interlaken ??

if yes , my recalculating things again , i found my trip would cost without the card 480 CHF roughly and with the 2 cards (for me and my wife and free kids ) : 245X2, and 10% dicsucnt for 2 cards , = 441 CHF , inaddition to the flexibility ,easy process ,….

Thanks Again

Bassem

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 August 2014 at 8:27:29 #840937

Hi Bassem,

Yes, Geneva to Interlaken is free as well. You can verify that on the map I referred to. You may also like a boat trip like this one (on your way to/from Ballenberg for example). It’s free with the Swiss Pass as well.

Enjoy your time in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2014 at 8:36:53 #840938

Hi Arno

That was nice and clear communication , I do thank you for your help and valuable advises

Thanks for your wishes

Bassem

• The thread ‘buy or no buy Swisspass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.