Buy Swiss Train Pass or buy at counter? Help…

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2011 at 18:44:15 #804697

Hi, i’m denise from Malaysia. i’m planning a trip to Switzerland as below:
    [18 Nov to 25 Nov 2011 duration]
    Day 1: Geneva [stay at Rue Ami-Levrier, Geneva]
    Day 2: Geneva to Mont Blanc (day trip) [stay at Rue Ami-Levrier, Geneva]
    Day 3: Geneva to Zermatt [stay at Bahnhofstrasse 22, Zermatt]
    Day 4: Zermatt to Bern [stay at Bern Backpackers]
    Day 5: Bern to Lucerne (day trip) [stay at Bern Backpackers]
    Day 6: Bern to Lucerne (day trip) [stay at Bern Backpackers]
    Day 7: Bern to Geneva [stay at city hostel geneva]

May i know from my itinerary, will you recommend buying a Swiss Train Pass?
    Is the Train Pass CHF99 worth to buy?
    Any other recommendation?

Thank you and looking forward your advise & recommendation!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 September 2011 at 1:28:36 #834197

Hi Denise, and welcome!

You’re doing quite a lot of traveling, so I would recommend an 8-day Swiss Pass, or Swiss Saver Pass if you’re traveling with 2 or more people. All the trips you have planned are included for free, and you will get discounts on cable cars. All details are on this page, including purchase options on the right.

I’m not aware of a pass for CHF 99. Perhaps you are referring to the Swiss Half Fare Card? It used to cost CHF 99, but it’s CHF 110 now. Anyway, the Swiss Pass is the best option in your case.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2011 at 3:27:26 #834198

Hi:-)
    I had checked the website “http://ricksteves.raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/discounts-and-pricing.html”
    it mentioned “A Saver Pass is shared by 2-5 people traveling together at all times that gives you a chosen number of consecutive travel days.” with the price of $346 1 adult with 2nd class for 8 days.
    So i confused here, we got 3 persons together for this trip, i should pay $346 per person or per group (3 of us together)?

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 September 2011 at 4:42:17 #834199

Hi Denise,

Please check our Swiss Pass page and fill out your country, travelers and pass. Resellers and their total prices will be displayed tailored to your situation. In your case, an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass for 3 people costs SGD 1205.11 (USD 967.08) through TrainTicket. Prices of the other resellers can be found there too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2011 at 4:49:13 #834200

as for the Swiss Half fare card, the rate stated is only for the card right? and we need to use the card to buy the train ticket at 50% ?
    in this case, the 8 days swiss saver pass will be cheaper as for the whole trip right?

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 September 2011 at 5:03:03 #834201

Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card requires you to purchase 50% discounted tickets for each trip. From my experience, the Swiss Saver Pass is cheaper and more comfortable for intensive traveling like you’ve planned. You can calculate the exact difference if you want. I like the Swiss Pass as it allows free additional trips that you may not have planned in advance, such as an extra boat trip or something like that. Just do what you feel like without buying tickets (except for the cable cars, please see the map for details).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2011 at 3:34:18 #834202

hi:-)
    i had realised that my trip to mont blanc on 19 Nov, i want to go to Aiguille du Midi. but the cable car service will be close at that period. is there anyway (beside cable car) to go to Aiguille du Midi? or you have any recommendation to visit which places once i reached chamonix?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2011 at 3:37:39 #834203

i plan to use ChamExpress (shutter van) from Geneva Airport to Chamonix (at euro 28 per way per person). is this recommended the fastest n cheapest way?
    if i use this shutter van, when i reach chamonix, how should i proceed from there (since cable car is closed that time) ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2011 at 5:19:57 #834204

i had compared both SBB and Rail Europe on the individual trips of my itinerary, and i found that SBB is cheaper (about CHF200, i estimated based on Oct schedule as Nov schedule is not out yet) and Rail Europe more expensive (SIN550 or CHF390). may i know Oct and Nov got difference in train price?
    Can Swiss Saver Pass used both SBB and Euro Rail?
    These difference of price cause me to make decision to buy Swiss Saver Pass or buy individual destination trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2011 at 5:20:43 #834205

Sorry, SIN=SGD

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2011 at 5:23:51 #834206

if i buy Swiss Saver Pass, when is the best time i buy online (since i travel in Nov)?
    if i buy SBB (individual destination), to buy online or to buy at Geneva Airport Station when i arrived? if to buy online, when is the best time to buy?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2011 at 5:24:37 #834207

hope to hear from you soon! and hope you can answer all my questions above (so many:p)
    thank you so much in advance!

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 September 2011 at 6:22:04 #834208

Hello Denise,

Actually I think you just need that 8-day Swiss Saver Pass as adviced before. It also includes the trip to Chamonix, so you don’t need to spend extra money on a van transfer. It does not matter when you buy the pass or any tickets you have in mind. In any case, the pass is cheaper online, as you can see on the Swiss Pass page. Pass prices can always go up or down because of exchange rate changes, but you can’t tell in advance.

Please note that if you compare regular ticket prices and pass prices, the SBB website will show half fare prices by default. However, that’s not the amount you would pay without a pass; you would pay the adult fare (twice the price they show by default).

You can best check out the Chamonix tourist website for details on what to do there.

I hope this helps you out!

• The thread ‘Buy Swiss Train Pass or buy at counter? Help…’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.