Buying Super Saver Tickets with Half Fare Card

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
geniewho
geniewho
27 posts
May 9, 2014 - 2:14 AM

Just wanted to confirm my understanding:

I am in a group of 2 adults travelling with 2 children between ages 6 to 16 and intend to get a Swiss Flexi Pass which can act as a half fare card in-between the 1st and last jouney.

If I intend to buy Super Saver tickets on sbb.ch, which require me to print out online tickets, should I just buy for the 2 adults (indicating I have ahalf fare card).

I do not need to indicate anything for the children right since the Flexi pass with a Family Card allows children in that age group to travel for free.

Cos if I try to indicate a child while buying Super Saver tickets, they charge me a fare because the system probably assumes the child is not travelling with the adult?

I am just worried that if I buy the Super Saver tickets for just 2 adults, the children will have problems getting up the train. I encountered such experience in other European countries where I am required to input children's details even if the admission/fare is zero.

Thanks in advance.

Annika
Annika
6067 posts
expert &
May 9, 2014 - 10:41 AM in reply to geniewho

Hi geniewho,

You don't need tickets for the children, because you have a Swiss Family Card. You may have run into problems in other countries because of seat reservations: tickets and seats are separate things. Children may travel for free, but if a train requires seat reservations they don't have a seat if you don't get those reservations for them. However, trains in Switzerland don't require seat reservations, apart from a few panoramic trains.

geniewho
geniewho
27 posts
May 15, 2014 - 1:19 AM
Thanks for the advice Annika!
kim11
kim11
482 posts
top member
May 15, 2014 - 2:11 PM in reply to geniewho

>I am in a group of 2 adults travelling with 2 children between ages 6 to 16<

If one of the children has reached their 16th birthday by the days of your travel he/she will need an adult pass and ticket. Family Card only valid through age 15

http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard

Annika
Annika
6067 posts
expert &
May 15, 2014 - 3:19 PM

Good point Kim, thanks!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019