Buying Super Saver Tickets with Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2014 at 2:14:49 #806349

Just wanted to confirm my understanding:

I am in a group of 2 adults travelling with 2 children between ages 6 to 16 and intend to get a Swiss Flexi Pass which can act as a half fare card in-between the 1st and last jouney.

If I intend to buy Super Saver tickets on sbb.ch, which require me to print out online tickets, should I just buy for the 2 adults (indicating I have ahalf fare card).

I do not need to indicate anything for the children right since the Flexi pass with a Family Card allows children in that age group to travel for free.

Cos if I try to indicate a child while buying Super Saver tickets, they charge me a fare because the system probably assumes the child is not travelling with the adult?

I am just worried that if I buy the Super Saver tickets for just 2 adults, the children will have problems getting up the train. I encountered such experience in other European countries where I am required to input children’s details even if the admission/fare is zero.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 May 2014 at 10:41:40 #839885

Hi geniewho,

You don’t need tickets for the children, because you have a Swiss Family Card. You may have run into problems in other countries because of seat reservations: tickets and seats are separate things. Children may travel for free, but if a train requires seat reservations they don’t have a seat if you don’t get those reservations for them. However, trains in Switzerland don’t require seat reservations, apart from a few panoramic trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2014 at 1:19:53 #839886

Thanks for the advice Annika!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    15 May 2014 at 14:11:22 #839887

>I am in a group of 2 adults travelling with 2 children between ages 6 to 16<

If one of the children has reached their 16th birthday by the days of your travel he/she will need an adult pass and ticket. Family Card only valid through age 15

http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 May 2014 at 15:19:39 #839888

Good point Kim, thanks!

• The thread ‘Buying Super Saver Tickets with Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.