Buying ticket for Swiss cable cars in advance?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
dalcubo
dalcubo
16 posts
May 2, 2018 - 4:05 AM

Hello: We (my wife and I) will be in Zermatt late August and early September, and are planning to take lifts/funicular/cablecars to start hikes to Riffelberg, Blauherd, the Five Lakes, and Hornlihutte. Can we assume that we'll be able to purchase tickets (we'll have 1/2 Fare Cards, ordered from home prior to departure) on the day that we plan to hike, or will we need to buy them a day or two in advance....? Many Thanks!

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 2, 2018 - 5:07 AM in reply to dalcubo

You can purchase tickets for mountain transport from the ticket office at the valley station just before you board. That's the usual way of doing things.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
rockoyster
4012 posts
expert
May 2, 2018 - 7:02 AM in reply to Removed user

Sorry to interrupt Alpenrose, but I wonder if you can help figure out where we are going wrong on this thread? (Use of Royal "we" unintentional).

dalcubo
dalcubo
16 posts
May 2, 2018 - 3:59 PM in reply to Removed user

Hello to Alpenrose666 and rockoyster.....Re: 'that's the usual way of doing things....' If I knew this I would not have asked. It's because I didn't know that I asked for assistance. Re: rockoyster and 'where we are going wrong on this thread.....' does this mean that the answer to my question about buying tickets for mountain transport is not accurate? Can the two of you sort it out and kindly let me know if indeed all we have to do is buy tickets just before boarding? Thank you for your consideration.

Lucas
Lucas
9566 posts
expert &
May 2, 2018 - 7:24 PM in reply to dalcubo

Hi Dalcubo,

Alpenrose just meant to say that you buy tickets at the gondola/cable car station - just before you board. Just so you know that is how it is done here. :) So no need to buy it ahead of time.

Rockoyster was trying to direct Alpenrose to another thread for help (on another question). It had nothing to do with your thread. His hyperlink on "this thread" was pointing Alpenrose to where he needed help.

In Switzerland, no pre-purchases are needed for any transportation - except a few panoramic trains where you must reserve a seat.

dalcubo
dalcubo
16 posts
May 2, 2018 - 8:38 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas...."...In Switzerland, no pre-purchases are needed for any transportation...." This simple statement would probably save a lot of people a lot of time trying to dig out this information - as I have been doing. This is really all we need to know.... Planning a trip in Switzerland is no easy task but your response helps quite a bit. Thank you for taking the time to help us out.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4012 posts
expert
May 2, 2018 - 8:58 PM in reply to dalcubo

Hello dalcubo,

Sorry to confuse you with my call for help on another thread.

Further to what Lucas said, did you read www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/howtotra vel? This is about trains but pretty much applies to all forms of transport.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018