Buying ticket for Swiss cable cars in advance?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 4:05:32 #815668

Hello: We (my wife and I) will be in Zermatt late August and early September, and are planning to take lifts/funicular/cablecars to start hikes to Riffelberg, Blauherd, the Five Lakes, and Hornlihutte. Can we assume that we’ll be able to purchase tickets (we’ll have 1/2 Fare Cards, ordered from home prior to departure) on the day that we plan to hike, or will we need to buy them a day or two in advance….? Many Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 5:07:26 #883888

You can purchase tickets for mountain transport from the ticket office at the valley station just before you board. That’s the usual way of doing things.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 7:02:48 #883889

Sorry to interrupt Alpenrose, but I wonder if you can help figure out where we are going wrong on this thread? (Use of Royal “we” unintentional).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 15:59:36 #883890

Hello to Alpenrose666 and rockoyster…..Re: ‘that’s the usual way of doing things….’ If I knew this I would not have asked. It’s because I didn’t know that I asked for assistance. Re: rockoyster and ‘where we are going wrong on this thread…..’ does this mean that the answer to my question about buying tickets for mountain transport is not accurate? Can the two of you sort it out and kindly let me know if indeed all we have to do is buy tickets just before boarding? Thank you for your consideration.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 19:24:21 #883891

Hi Dalcubo,

Alpenrose just meant to say that you buy tickets at the gondola/cable car station – just before you board. Just so you know that is how it is done here. 🙂 So no need to buy it ahead of time.

Rockoyster was trying to direct Alpenrose to another thread for help (on another question). It had nothing to do with your thread. His hyperlink on “this thread” was pointing Alpenrose to where he needed help.

In Switzerland, no pre-purchases are needed for any transportation – except a few panoramic trains where you must reserve a seat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 20:38:56 #883892

Thank you Lucas….”…In Switzerland, no pre-purchases are needed for any transportation….” This simple statement would probably save a lot of people a lot of time trying to dig out this information – as I have been doing. This is really all we need to know…. Planning a trip in Switzerland is no easy task but your response helps quite a bit. Thank you for taking the time to help us out.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 20:58:39 #883893

Hello dalcubo,

Sorry to confuse you with my call for help on another thread.

Further to what Lucas said, did you read http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/howtotra vel? This is about trains but pretty much applies to all forms of transport.

• The thread ‘Buying ticket for Swiss cable cars in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.