Cab ride from Geneva Airport to Old Town Geneva

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 22:56:05 #880426

It’ an extract from the map you can download here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. Something any STP traveler needs to be fully conversant with. 😎

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 April 2018 at 23:11:07 #880427

Diane-

<<“Where’s Klein Scheidegge or Wengen ?”>>

Please look at the maps that I have posted twice.

Slowpoke

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    4 April 2018 at 2:59:04 #880428

Thanks, Rockoyster. I downloaded it and realized that I already have that exact map printed and laminated for a couple of weeks to “study”. Just never had time to look at it again until you sent it to me. Thanks again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 3:03:18 #880429

That’s an all of Switzerland map – the helicopter view. Slowpoke’s maps are much more detailed and much better for homing in on a specific region.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2018 at 7:24:20 #880430

Hi Snowman-

<<“Rive is the last stop of bus 10. The previous stop is called Molard. The last stop is simply the one at which all passengers get off. In addition, there are screens inside the bus, showing the next stop.”>>

The data available to me on this point are somewhat confusing.

You speak with the voice of authority. You live there.

The TPG overview map of all of the routes is not extremely clear, but it agrees with you and strongly suggests that Rte #10 ends at Station Rive.

However, if you look at maps on Mapsearch.ch ( which has very good station information) and Google Maps. which also has station information, you can get “windows” that show the bus line #10 continues to Station Place des Eaux-Vives. You do it by mousing over or clicking or perhaps right clicking the icon for the station. However, if you check Station Eaux-Vives, gare, it only shows bus #21.

See attached screen grabs. I was able to capture the image from Mapsearch.CH. In the case of Google Maps, I could not grab the screen, but you can get it your self by mousing over the station location.

However, the best solution to lack of data is to get more data. Next time I see you in Geneva, perhaps we can ride the bus #10 to the end of the line.

And, your note about Station Molard being the one before Station Rive is very helpful.

At first I thought that it would be logical for Bus #10 to connect the airport with Eaux-Vives, gare. It does not. And, I then remembered that you worked on the rail connection between the airport or Cornavin, and Eaux-Vives train station. So, passengers at he airport who wish to get to railroad station Eaux-Vives can take a train, I guess?

Please forgive me if I do not place the proper accent marks when I spell French words. It’s hard enough to remember umlauts in German, and they never stick in my brain. Have to look up words to check, sometimes. ;-(

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2018 at 7:49:27 #880431

Hi Diane-

You explained and asked:

<<“To be more detailed, our plane arrives May 31st @ 22:45pm. This is going

to be a long trip: 10hrs from US to Heathrow, 5 hours layover in

Heathrow, then will continue from Heathrow to Geneva. ….. But when jetlag kicks in it

might be a different story 😊😊”>>

<<”

Is Bus#10 station easy to locate?

Is the Rive stop end of the line for Bus#10—meaning there’s now way for us hopping off early by mistake?

Thanks again you all. I’m sure this isn’t my last post; I still need a lot of information before actual departure.”>>

I commend you for your attention to detail. Jet-lag plus reduced alertness from flying with reduced oxygen levels at high altitudes causes my brain to be easily confused and extremely indecisive when I arrive in Europe from the USA. So, unless I am landing at a familiar airport…for me, that is Zürich these days.. I do exactly what you are doing..and I often print an airport map just in case.

A couple of years ago they temporarily moved the taxi line at Zürich airport during construction, and when I walked out he door that I usually used, I had a few moments of total dismay and confusion. Almost panic. 😉

As we got older, we decided to bite the bullet and take a taxi to our first hotel upon arrival, even in Zürich. In Zürich that is an expensive process.. 65 CHF these days. But, for us, it became worthwhile, in part because of our luggage. If i am traveling alone, I still use public transportation, because it is so good. And, I save about 60 CHF.

A couple of years ago, we flew into Manchester, and picked up a car to make the 5 minute drive to our motel. I had printed maps. We had a GPS. However, the GPS worked only intermittently in that car, was strange to us model, and the maps that I had printed were only partially helpful. My partner was never a good map reader, and I had to drive on the wrong side of the road. Spent about 45 minutes, even with Google maps on our smart phones stumbling around the roads south of Manchester, just to do a 5 minute ride. When we got close and stopped to ask directions, it turned out that we had driven past the motel and missed the turn off while going around a traffic circle ( “roundabout”, there) driving on the wrong side and watching out for local drivers who knew what they were doing. Never again!

Would it be worth paying the estimated 40+ CHF to hail a cab when you arrive? There will be a cab line when you get there. Earlier in the day, there would be an information desk to ask for an estimate of the cost of a cab. Or, there is often a person managing the cab line, and you could ask them the cost and then decide.

You all are younger and more flexible than I am, so your judgement governs, of course.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2018 at 8:09:28 #880432

HI Rockoyster-

<<“(including Birg Thrill Walk along the way). “>>

Will it be open in early June?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 8:39:59 #880433

>> Birg Thrill Walk … Will it be open in early June?

I would think so. It was open in late December 2016. The surface is mostly metal grid, or other surfaces that the snow does not build up on.

Alpenrose

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    4 April 2018 at 10:22:53 #880434

Hi Slowpoke

The Eaux-Vives train station is under recomstruction. It should be completed and operating again in Decembrt 2019. So there is no way Diane could travel to Chamonix by rail from Geneva Eaux-Vives. She did not ask about that so we may assume they have figured it out (by bus, my guess).

Bus 10 ends at Rive, but of course goes back to the Airport from there. Its itinerary goes through one-way streets, and the first stop is indeed place des Eaux-Vives. But the end stop is Rive. If the bus is on schedule, it will stay there for a while before going onward the other way.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2018 at 12:15:59 #880435

Aha!

Those one way streets will get you every time!

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    4 April 2018 at 13:26:21 #880436

This link shows a schematic map of the TPG urban network. It looks like place des Eaux-Vives is the end of #10, but if you look at the label for Rive it lists #10 as one of the lines having its end there. It has a facility the driver may need to use, you know…

m.tpg.ch/routeMap.htm?map=tpg_2018_urbain

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2018 at 13:40:46 #880437

Ask a local. 😉

<<“This link shows a schematic map of the TPG urban network. It looks like

place des Eaux-Vives is the end of #10, but if you look at the label for

Rive it lists #10 as one of the lines having its end there. It has a

facility the driver may need to use, you know…”>>

That may explain why the map confused me. Does the little dot on the route mean

“end of service”?

I guess we won’t have to ride it to find out.

Or, the bus may need gasoline or diesel fuel. Or, is it one with electric power?

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    4 April 2018 at 14:40:45 #880438

#10 is a trolleybus. In Switzerland a trolleybus runs on electrical power supplied by overhead powerlines. No air pollution, low noise.

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    4 April 2018 at 19:12:36 #880439

Hi all,

I went to that TPG website and typed in Bus # 10 and it showed that Rive is the end of the line. It also showed each and every stop that the bus makes from the airport until it reaches the end of the line. I printed that one out just so we know where we’ll be at. I just hope that we will be on time so we won’t be forced to take a cab that late night.

With regards to our trip to Chamonix on June 1st afternoon, NO i did not even consider looking at train schedules anymore, predicting that we would be exhausted already to be hopping on and off trains and after short night rest and a day of Geneva sightseeing.The hotel we are staying in Chamonix suggested http://www.mountaindropoffs.c om who can pick us up from Geneva airport an drop us off at our Chamonix hotel. It’s a shared van ride for about 140Euro for family of 4–i think the bus/shuttle can accomodate up to 8 people if I’m not mistaken. I looked at customer reviews and everything seemed to be satisfactory. Have you guys heard about this company? Or any recommendation you think that serves “direct’ transportation from Geneva to Chamonix?

Anyway, I’m glad we kind of figure out where the Rive Stop is because that’s where we gonna take Bus#10 to go to the airport and get picked up by the Chamonix-bound shuttle.

Not sure if that transport strike is ongoing in France but I hope the Mont Blanc Express line on the French side will not be disrupted when we depart again on June 4th.

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    4 April 2018 at 19:30:46 #880440

Biting the bullet is the last resort for us…As it is, it’s already an expensive 12-15hrs in Geneva. The hotel alone is CHF263 for less than 8 hrs of stay plus miscellaneous expenses while we explore the city :(:(

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2018 at 20:59:21 #880441

<<“Biting the bullet is the last resort for us…As it is, it’s already an

expensive 12-15hrs in Geneva. The hotel alone is CHF263 for less than 8

hrs of stay plus miscellaneous expenses while we explore the city :(:(“>>

Certainly understandable. My circumstances are different from yours, and your own preferences are what counts.

It’s easy to spend money in Switzerland, and using public transportation is certainly one of the best ways to do it. The other is to stay in places on train lines a modest distance from the cities or major tourist destinations if possible(which does require map work, and timetable work ,and general familiarity with places to look at and consider) , while using a rail pass to make the multiple trips cheaper or free. The third is to eat at cafeterias/buffets such a Coop and Migros stores have, or get sandwiches at a bakery. The fourth is to not go up on the Jungfrau, if you can be satisfied with the Schilthorn.

I use Mapsearch.ch in combination with web searches to find accommodations, always looking at the web site of the place, and telephoning, e-mailing or faxing directly. They usually give you a rate slightly lower than the booking services, because then they don’t have to pay a fee.

By the way, I’m surprised that you got that low a hotel room rate in Geneva. I’m glad that Snowman looked into it a bit for you.

Slowpoke

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    4 April 2018 at 23:29:18 #880442

Hi Slowpoke,

Yes, I agree, I got a pretty good deal on that hotel. I had that reservation since around 1st week of March–same with all our reservations in Chamonix, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne and Zurich. Well, except for Zurich and Geneva, all 3 accomodations are apartments so we can shop and prepare our own food. Now, if we check out today’s rates, it’s either they are fully booked or extremely pricey already. I’m just glad Snowman kind of know the area 🙂 And looking at the reviews, everything seemed to be within walking distance from several points of interests.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:02:32 #880443

Line 10 from Aeroport to Rive is one of the Noctambus night bus services:

timetable here:

noctambus.ch/wp-content/uploads/sites/ 3/2015/12/Noctambus_ur bain-10.pdf

Pathetic SNCF (French National Railways) has given up running trains properly and now runs buses competing with its own rail service instead:

And guess what? there’s a frequent service Genève – Chamonix:

http://www.ouibus.com/routes/ geneva-chamonix

1960Man – travelling the streets of Genève for 57 years…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:32:43 #880444

Hi 1960man –

I think that I understand your image, not 100% sure. How about hours 2200 an2d 2300?

Slpwpoke

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    5 April 2018 at 2:19:40 #880445

Hi 1960man,

This Ouibus is a good information and possibly a better option compared to Mountaindropoffs. Thank you very much!! I’ll definitely look into it.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • The thread ‘Cab ride from Geneva Airport to Old Town Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.