Cable car to Matterhorn or train to Gornergrat?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2016 at 19:15:33 #809791

Hi

I have a day in zermatt tomorrow and can’t make up my mind between the cable car to Matterhorn or the train ride to gornergrat. Am traveling with 2 kids and they would be interested in some activity as well besides just good views….. Guess trying to do both in a day will be too much? The weather forecast for both locations is sunny but with scattered clouds. Fortunately no rain is forecast. Any suggestions or experiences will be welcome

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    1 August 2016 at 5:35:54 #854750

Hi,

For my money, the views from the Gornergrat are superb. The Kulisse (row of mountains) from the Monte Rosa to the Matterhorn are laid out in front of you and you can walk down to Riffelberg to catch the train back to town. Or you can take the Gondola to Schwarzsee, but there’s not much to do there unless you want to hike up to the Hörnlihütte which has more fantastic views and you are actually on the Matterhorn! Alternatively, take the cablecar to the Klein Matterhorn. It’s above the summer snowline,so you can go skiing. ( I haven’t skiied there, so I don’t know if you can hire gear there, or have to get it in town. Just ask at the Alpin Zentrum). There’s also an ice grotto to explore.

If the kids want more adventure, try the Forest Fun Park. Lots of Zip Lines, rope ladders and climbing poles. A real Hoot! http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Attractions/Forest-Fun-Park

Have Fun

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2016 at 10:17:45 #854751

Defenetly Gornetgrat!!!

• The thread ‘Cable car to Matterhorn or train to Gornergrat?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.