Can”t decide – Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2016 at 15:50:25 #808850

hi guys,

I have done my spread sheet and both work out the same ( about 30 CHF less with the half price card if compare to the 8 days travel pass- we are only staying for 6 days though). it will worth while if i include a short trip to Bern, but I am not sure if I can fit it in.

Do you think it possible to explore Bern after either one of the following mountains? Mt. Titlis/ Mt. Pilatus / Jungfarujoch/schilthorn (I have planned one mountain each day and hoping there is enough time to do something else after…)

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    8 April 2016 at 18:48:41 #850529

Hi superdrpanda,

With such a minor difference I wouldn’t bother buying tickets all the time and rather prefer the convenience and flexibility of the Swiss Travel Pass.

You should be able to explore Bern after a mountain visit, assuming you’ll start the day early. Although it depends on where you stay. The timetable will tell you how much time traveling takes. I would assume 2 hours (could be 1, could be much longer as well) on the mountain and at least 2 in Bern. Then add traveling time.

Have a wonderful day!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2016 at 19:28:33 #850530

Annika, Thanks for your advice! but i think i have left it too late- I will be arriving Tuesday morning and it seems I can’t purchase this travel pass online anymore? is there any chance I can purchase this pass when I arrive or any other website which allows me to print at home?

Thanks

Annika
    7103 posts
    8 April 2016 at 20:31:16 #850531

Sorry to hear that! You’ll have to buy locally before you board your first train. You can visit the rail service desk at the airport, for example. You may have to wait in line for a while, but it’s the only option at this point.

Have a good trip!

• The thread ‘Can”t decide – Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.