Can’t find ticket from Paris to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2018 at 17:23:07 #819209

Need help.

i couldn’t find ticket from paris to zermatt

i’m using trainline apps, i choose from paris gare de lyon to zermatt then route is paris-laussane-visp-zermatt and the duration is 7:17h,

then i tried booked the ticket but the ticket only paris-laussane, suggestion is to buy the ticket separaty, is this true? Or i miss something ?

Please advise

thank you

raymond

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 December 2018 at 18:38:43 #900514

Hi Raymond, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m am not familiar with their app, but I went to their website https://www.trainline. eu/search and found several tickets all the way to Zermatt. If you can’t find a suitable ticket there, then we have several other retailers listed on http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france/pric e to choose from.

The route is either via Lausanne or Basel, and occasionally via Geneva.

If you can’t figure it out then please post more details like travel date/time and the number of travelers, and we’ll be glad to look into it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 December 2018 at 23:39:14 #900515

Hi Raymaond.

Although it should not interfere with your efforts to book the complete trip, you should be aware that on ordinary trains completely within Switzerland, seat reservations are not needed. Usually, you cannot even get them.

(An exception is the special Panoramic trains such as the Glacier Express, or certain special super panoramic cars on the Golden Pass section near Montreux, which do require reservations because of limited capacity).

On Swiss trains that cross national borders, it is possible to book seat eservations, and it is wise, because you need them outside Switzerland.

Just a bit of in formation that you might find useful in your journeys.

Slowpoke

On trains

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 0:11:43 #900516

Maybe it’s a technical issue. Were you trying to use a small device such as smartphone? I often find going via an ‘app’ has limitations. For complex travel bookings I usually find that laptop or larger computer and a website is the safest way to make sure things work properly.

I also checked the trainline web site and it gave me Paris – Zermatt booking immediately

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 December 2018 at 0:54:40 #900517

<<“For complex travel bookings I usually find that laptop or larger

computer and a website is the safest way to make sure things work

properly.”>>

Amen!

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 3:23:44 #900518

Thanks Arno for replying my message

i’m trying several times with trainline app but always comes out i need to buy the ticket separately.

i will be traveling 3rd januari 2019 from paris to zermatt with my wife, can you help me to look it, and give me the link?

Thank you so much

raymond

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 3:25:04 #900519

Thank you for replying my message,

yeah maybe because i’m using smartphone via apps, i will try with laptop, thanks for suggestion.

raymond

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 December 2018 at 9:21:12 #900520

Hi Raymond-

Out of curiosity, I checked the Swiss Rail web site, which I always use for travel related to Switzerland.

I mention it because you will almost surely find it helpful while you are in Switzerland, and, it does have a smartphone app.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e/mobile-apps/sbb-mobile.html

This link provides some helpful tips and tricks:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

while this is the direct link, handy once you are familiar with the website:

http://www.sbb.ch/en

I looked up your route and date, and took some screen grabs. Sorry that there are so many; I was working on a relatively low resolution screen.

The first two images show several trains in the morning.

I selected the 10:00AM train, and clicked on the time line.

The journey expanded into a vertical time line. I took two screen grabs to show the whole journey ( 3rd and 4th image). That shows that my decision to use simply “Paris” as the start point picked the wrong station, as the first part of the journey goes between different Paris stations.

On the actual timetable display, If I were to click on the “+” sign in a circle, the route display would expand and show the intermediate station stops. and provide more information.

Not shown is the lower part of the pages,which give a lot of details about the trains, such as restaurant cars, restrictions on bicycles, etc., etc.

find the SBB display very useful for trip planning, so I use it for any train that involves Switzerland.

For ticket purchase, after you find the trains, you could then use the links provided by Arno to purchase tickets.

In years past I have purchased international tickets from Switzerland to/from other bordering nations from the SBB ticket shop. I don’t really know which way to buy them is a easiest or best today. Arno knows the systeems well, and I’d follow his leads. .

I do know that over the years, I’ve had more problems working with some of the other systems than with the SBB for various rail trips. Never tried Trainline, myself.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 11:16:44 #900521

Thanks slowpoke for replying my message.

i can find the time table but when i trying to pay then show some important notice . I attach screenshot will you check it ?

thank you

raymond

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 December 2018 at 11:21:31 #900522

Hi Raymond,

It’s weird that they present a problem with part of the route at that stage. We can’t help with that I’m afraid. Can’t you do it on their website using a desktop or laptop, rather than through their app? Or use one of the other websites to book this. Please see my first post where I suggested these approaches.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 December 2018 at 13:25:52 #900523

Can’t help with that company, sorry.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 13:29:47 #900524

Thanks arno,

i will try with laptop. Maybe there is some issue with the apps,

thank you so much really appreciate

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2018 at 13:31:14 #900525

Hi slowpoke, its ok i will try using laptop maybe have problem with their apps

thank you so much

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 December 2018 at 13:45:06 #900526

Hi Raymond,

I finally managed to see the error you are getting. I’m not sure what is causing it, but all websites I tried have the same issue. I recommend to buy the ticket to Lausanne. On top of that, buy a Saver Day Pass to cover the leg from Lausanne to Zermatt. It will be valid on all trains. You will need to buy this asap as prices go up over time and these passes may sell out. The price was CHF 52 when I checked. More information is here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass. In all, doing it like this is even cheaper than the all in one ticket as far as I can see.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2018 at 3:10:27 #900527

Thanks arno for checking it,

you mean saver day pass i can use for all train from lausane to zermatt ?

i will check it .

thank you for your help

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 December 2018 at 5:22:32 #900528

Yes, indeed!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2018 at 5:29:58 #900529

Dear Arno,

i attach screen shof the route to zermatt ,, would you check it is correct or not ?

thank you

raymond

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2018 at 6:45:06 #900530

Hi Raymond,,

That attachment shows one train route for Paris to Zermatt – what is your concern with it being “correct”?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2018 at 7:02:13 #900531

Dear lucas, thanks for replying my message,

just make sure depart and arrive at the right destination.

Is it correct ? Because there are several other routes

thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2018 at 8:39:44 #900532

There is no correct route route to Zermatt, so much as different routes you can choose from.

You can travel via Lausanne (as your screenshot shows – which is fine) but there are also trains you can take going to Zermatt via Basel or Geneva (also fine).

If you buy the Saver Day Pass as Arno mentioned, then you are covered for travel from any of those towns to Zermatt. You only need a ticket from Paris to Lausanne or Basel or Geneva.

If you like the trip as noted on your screenshot then you just need to buy the ticket for the 07:57 train from Paris Gare de Lyon to Lausanne and then buy a Saver Day Pass for that date as well.

When asked to see your ticket from rail staff on the train in France show your ticket from Paris. If asked on the train between Lausanne and Visp or between Visp and Zermatt show them the Saver Day Pass.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    28 December 2018 at 15:33:23 #900533

We took a TGV from Paris to Basel. Then switched to Swiss trains from Basel to Visp and then Visp to Zermatt. We left Paris around 10:30 AM and got to Zermatt shortly after 6 pm. One of us had issues regarding purchases and the VAT in Paris since the train station does not have a VAT refund booth, etc. But we did find someone in Basel to take care of it. The TGV was simply wonderful. We had lots of luggage–suitcases and snowboards and the TGV employees were fantastic in helping us board.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Can’t find ticket from Paris to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.