Car, GPS, phone and computer in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2013 at 7:54:56 #805945

We will be travelling to Switzerland for two weeks at the end of May. We will be renting a car, but plan to use rail for longer trips, if necessary (such as from Zermatt to Lugano). In addition to renting a car, do we have to obtain any special documents? Also, what is recommended for a GPS — would an app on an iphone work? Do we need to get a special sim card for our iphone for calling? Finally, would something like MyFi work in Switzerland for our Tablet? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2013 at 12:28:19 #838508

We rented a car with GPS. And…it was all in German. We never did figure it out. When in Europe, I now carry my own GPS unit (Tom Tom) with current Europe maps. It’s worth every dime and very convenient. I took my iphone and it works any where. Check to see if your phone has international ability. However,when it is on, it is roaming at international rates. I accidentally left my iphone (ATT) on (roaming) for one week and the bill was over $200. so…..now I carry my ipad and text. You need to be at an internet source but it sure worked better for pictures, emails and texting. I carry the phone for emergency use only and make sure it is OFF.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2013 at 12:31:00 #838509

Thanks. Do you have to get a special GPS map for switzerland for your TomTom?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2013 at 12:43:11 #838510

[quote]grpallen said: Thanks. Do you have to get a special GPS map for switzerland for your TomTom?[/quote]
    NO. The Europe map in all GPS units cover all of Europe plus much more. However an elert if you are not aware: To enter Switzerland by car, you must have a VIGNETTE Sticker. They cost 40 SFR and must be purchased prior to the border. If you chose not to buy it or forget, the fine is $100 SFR plus the cost of the sticker. It is CASH deal so have some Euro’s handy. Your rental car may provide this but you need to ask. We missed a turn just prior to the border and accidentally crossed into Switzerland. One mile later….we hit an inspection station ana, it was all business (plus we were out $100 Euros).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2013 at 13:04:48 #838511

Thanks. We land in Zurich and will be in Switzerland the whole time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2013 at 13:01:50 #838512

You might reconsider a rental car if you will stay in Switzerland the whole time. Their public rail system is remarkable. It is clean, super efficient and goes everywhere you might want to visit. A Swiss Pass covers not only rail, but also buses, boats, cable cars, funiculars, etc. The only exception is privately owned transport, such as the rail and cable lines in the Jungfrau region. The Swiss Pass will get you to Interlaken, but many of the tourist sites (Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, etc.) can only be reached by private transport, although they do offer discounts for Swiss Pass holders. In any event, you will find automobile operation expensive in Switzerland for things like parking and fuel.

Good luck and enjoy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2013 at 13:14:12 #838513

Thanks. We have four of us, so the rail pass cost is prohibitive. I did purchase a half price card for all of us, so that should help for cable cars, funiculars and boats. The other reason we will be using a car is that I grew up in Switzerland and I want to take the family to some pretty out of the way places without having to worry about toting luggage or leaving it at rail stattions, etc. Thanks for the input.

• The thread ‘Car, GPS, phone and computer in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.