Centovalli railway (from Grindelwald) questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 15:36:59 #816328

Hi there,

it seems that the centivalli railway is back in order after being unavailable due to a landslide. But it seems that now I can get tickets and see routes through SBB and the notice on the centovalli railway website is gone.

I am wondering how to ensure that we do indeed travel on this scenic route. We are coming from First (Grindelwald) and so well make a lot of connections.

First question: one of the trains is from Speiz to Domodossola and on the travel pass validity map, part of the route is solid like and part is dashed (meaning 50% off). But because we board where it is covered, do we need to buy tickets for the portions that seem not to be covered? How does that work? We have full Swiss travel pass.

Second question: at different times there seems to be different trains going from domodossola. One is labeled TRENO PANORAMICO. Another is labeled Centovalli Express. Both of them go on the centovalli railway, no? Is one better than the other? Can you open the windows on either of those trains? The centovalli express one seems to stop at Intraga but the TRENO PANORAMICO goes all the way to Losone..

we are taking this tomorrow morning. I assume like most trains here we don’t need to reserve in advance..

thank you,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 May 2018 at 21:00:29 #886845

Thanks for the heads-up on the landslide repair.

Dashed, not to be confused with dotted, red lines on the validity map identify longer railway tunnels not that the route requires an additional ticket.

Did you read the trip report by Lucas at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/ticino-region-trip-march-31-april-2?

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    30 May 2018 at 21:11:12 #886846

In 2015, I found the connection between the Centrovalli (known locally as the FART) and the SBB platforms was a bit of a walk.

The connections are guaranteed, of course, but it’s not a cross platform interchange.

From Spiez, I would recommend travelling to Brig over the very scenic older route via Kandersteg. The newer route is mostly in tunnel.

The Centrovalli line from Domodossola is a great ride.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 6:12:28 #886847

The TRENO PANORAMICO is the nicer option I think. The Centovalli Express is a regular regional train. Windows don’t open on the Panoramico, I’m not sure about the regional train though.

No reservations are needed but are possible (if you want to make them do it at a Swiss station before Domodossola as the Italian staff wouldn’t make me a reservation when I asked. 🙂

Let us know how the trip goes!

• The thread ‘Centovalli railway (from Grindelwald) questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.