Centovalli train out of use until September?

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    5 May 2018 at 5:41:26 #815733

A recent review on Tripadvisor says this train journey is “broken” and now uses buses. When I go to the centovalli.ch website it says much the same thing in difficult to understand english.

Now I don’t know if I really want to use this route. Does anyone here know anything about this situation?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 5:53:15 #884258

There was a landslide on the track. It is not operating until 30 June while the track is repaired.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 5:53:56 #884259

See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/landslide-locarno-to-domodossola.

Forget Tripadviser. This is the definitive place for Swiss advice. 😎

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    5 May 2018 at 6:02:32 #884260

So I wonder if it really will be fixed by September. Do I book a hotel in Locarno and hope for the best?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 6:20:40 #884261

Will it be fixed? Hard to say. My guess is that the 30 June target would have built in some slack then you have another two full month’s after that. Absolute worst case you get to go on a bus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 9:16:11 #884262

We’re doing the same thing in a few weeks, but rather than the bus I’m going to catch a boat down to Stresa, then train back up towards Domodossola and Brig (Thanks rockoyster). About 40 euro’s and 1.15 hours on the boat. Should be fun, and worst case, if the weathers bad we have the bus as a back up.

A different part of Switzerland/Italy we didn’t want to miss.

Enjoy!!

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    7 May 2018 at 5:39:51 #884263

It appears the Centovalli train still probably won’t be running in September. I’m thinking we might rearrange our itinerary as I have no idea if the replacement bus ride is scenic or not.

We’ll have Swiss travel Passes so I want to use them on the day we leave Locarno, not pay extra for a boat and train.

• The thread ‘Centovalli train out of use until September?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.