Chair lift in Jungfrau region?

• JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    27 April 2016 at 11:50:33 #809034

Hi, does anyone know of any chairlifts in the Jungfrau region that would be worth a trip? I remember going on lots as a child but last year when we were there I don’t remember seeing any but I’d like my kids to experience one,

Thanks! BTW I should say we will be there in August.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 15:41:12 #851304

The Iceflyer chairlift is in Mt. Titlis (been there last week)…. Not sure if anything there on Jungfrau. Maybe Arno / Annika can tell better as I could not visit the Jungfrau due to lack of time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2016 at 13:03:18 #851305

Hi Joey –

I can show you where they are, but not details of operating information.

This will give a general overview, showing major summer ski lifts.

http://www.mappery.com/Jungfr au-Grindelwald-region-summer-map

If you were going in April or May, many would not be running. August ought to have some; major tourist time.

For detail, start with mapsearch.ch, in the menus turn on traffic and turn off all but mountain transport:

map.search.ch/?x=-23168m&y=-28608m&z=32&poi=bergba hn

For the ultimate in detail- Swiss topo:map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=d e&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&X=162490.00&Y=63 8520.00&zoom=6

For hours of operation….the major cableways are in the timetable.

Don’t know about the chairlifts. Perhaps an e-mail to Wengen Tourism or Grindelwald tourism (for example) might help. And, I am sure that Arno and Annika will have all those details memorized 😉

Off hand, I’d also consider the Grindelwald-Männlichen lift. It is not a chair lift, but I recall very small “cabins” for, perhaps 4 people. May not run in May

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 April 2016 at 14:04:55 #851306

No chair lifts in Jungfrau region but two lifts with small compartments (fits 4)

Grindelwald to Männlichen,begins summer season on 28 May

Grindelwald to First,begins summer season on 30 April

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2016 at 14:17:25 #851307

Hi Kim-

Thanks…at least I guessed right on one of them. 😉

Slowpoke

PS – On another note –

I had hoped to be able to respond to your request about information on the Ogi’s start up on first days of the summer season. I had booked for June 3.

Looks like I’ll have to postpone the pleasure. Some medical issues in the family. Hopefully, they be resolved in time for a trip in the Fall.

So, if you check them out, please post. 😉

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 April 2016 at 14:20:36 #851308

So sorry to hear of the medical issues, best wishes for a rapid and successful conclusion.

Ogi’s start up on first days of the summer season? Don’t understand the question.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2016 at 14:27:46 #851309

At the Schönegg.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 April 2016 at 14:31:53 #851310

Ah yes, do not yet have the Ogi name “attached” to Schoenegg in my brain.

Will be in Wengen for a couple weeks beginning end of August (renting chalet) and Schoenegg restaurant is definitely on the list!

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 April 2016 at 16:39:47 #851311

There’s a chair lift in the nearby Kiental: kiental-sesselbahn.ch. So not the Jungfrau region, but if you like chair lifts it’s worth the trip; and it’s a wonderful valley as well.

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    13 May 2016 at 12:33:16 #851312

Thank you all – I hope to make the trip to the Kiental one. So much to do…

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    15 May 2016 at 9:57:02 #851313

Isn’t it a pity that, as far as I can tell, none of the Jungfrau Region chairlifts is operational for walkers in the summer season? The chair from Arven up to Kleine Scheidegg would be particularly useful and there are lovely views from the top of the Lauberhorn chair from Kleine Scheidegg. Only a short walk from there are good panaramas from the nearby top station of Wixi chair and the Lauberhorn race start hut. See the 360 webcam at http://panocam.skiline .cc/lauberhorn . By the way, Grindelwald – First is at least a six seater gondola and the present Grund – Mannlichen 4 seater is expected to be replaced soon. Gone are the days of the sideways chair-with-a-hood which took 35 minutes (winter timing) up to First and you were given a big Gaberdine coat for protection.

Andrew

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 May 2016 at 11:11:22 #851314

Hi Andrew,

The smaller lifts are ski lifts which only operate in winter. Not enough demand in summer I guess.

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    15 May 2016 at 12:58:05 #851315

Hi Arno,

It’s an interesting point and a bit like, “There’s no demand – you’re the tenth person to ask today.” A direct link is planned between Rothenegg-Grindelwald-Grund and EigerGletscher as well as a replacement gondelbahn from the same base station to Männlichen (see http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tou rism/news-events/v-cableway/the-v-cableway-project/). When all that happens it will be interesting to see if any of the chairs (but not, of course, purely ski lifts) open in summer as well as winter.

Andrew

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 May 2016 at 16:28:04 #851316

I certainly hope so. Although I’m not a big fan of building lifts everywhere, once they’re there it’s certainly nice if one can use them. Chair lifts in summer have become scarce.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2016 at 17:34:41 #851317

Hi Andrew

When we go up to Maennlichen we usually go up in the big gondola from Wengen but return in the 4-seater down to Grindelwald. While views from the top are the main experience I really like the ride down as the views from the little cable car cabin are special. After all what can you really see from the crowded middle of an 80-seater gondola? It would be a pity if all those small cable car rides were replaced.

Maggie

• The thread ‘Chair lift in Jungfrau region?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.