CHF or EUR when traveling in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 18:53:08 #812035

Hi all, I’m planning a walking tour in the Jungfau region – do I need to carry CHF currency, or are € accepted as a de facto currency in the various mountain gasthofs and huts?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 7:08:49 #864179

HI Chammer,

You won’t have trouble with euro’s in most restaurants and shops in the main towns and cities – but I would definitely have Swiss Francs for mountain huts, smaller villages etc. All towns and shops would prefer you to pay in Swiss Francs in any case.

If they do accept Euro’s in smaller areas they would probably give you a 1:1 exchange which isn’t great for you on the Euro!

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2017 at 20:06:40 #864180

Hi chammer.

Adding to the comments- many ATM’s in Switzerland, especially in the lager cities, will give you Euros or CHF.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘CHF or EUR when traveling in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.