Chillion castle to Zermatt bahnhof – train/Uber?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2016 at 18:37:38 #810103

Hi all,

Thank you so much for being so patient with my multiple queries.

I checked the SBB timetable and saw that for travel from chillion castle to Zermatt in the night seems like a few stops and too long a time for travel and too late a timing if I waited for sunset at the chillion castle.

Is uber safe in Switzerland and has anyone tried uber? How much would it cost and is it a more convenient option than trains?

Is uber possible to reach Zermatt bahnhof cos I understand that Zermatt is car free..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 September 2016 at 9:04:22 #855998

Hi msrajey,

The trains are really the way to go in Switzerland. It’s a safe, comfortable and clean way to travel. A car won’t be faster to reach Zermatt, although indeed your departure time would be more flexible. You can’t drive to Zermatt however. Only to Täsch, and you have to take a train from there anyway. So even with a car you’d need to catch the last train (around 11:30 PM, but please check the timetable for your date). I have never used Uber in Switzerland or elsewhere, but personally I wouldn’t get into a car with an unlicensed driver I don’t know, on mountain roads in the dark. I think it will be much more relaxed to spend the night in Montreux and reach Zermatt the next morning.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 September 2016 at 23:37:04 #855999

Hi Msrajey-

Drive time under favorable conditions is about 2 hours from Montreux.

Train leaves as early as 0605, takes as little as 2 and 1/2 hours, one chamge at Visp.

Be safe-

stay in Montreux.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2016 at 1:33:24 #856000

Yes, seeing your responses, i will try to book a night at montreux. We will finally move to Geneva and i am travelling with 2 kids so is there a good hotel near the castle to move to for the night? Don’t wish to take trains too many times. saw the list of hotels in montreux through tripadvisor but couldn’t narrow down to one that was convenient by location.

By location, could you recommend a few options of hotels, please?

The above timing for the train is not possible as we wanted to take pictures at sunset so if we waited for sunset, the timing of train back to zermatt is much later which didnt seem favourable with kids especially in the cold of the night and too late for their sleep as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    Arno
    15471 posts
    17 September 2016 at 7:49:46 #856002

The page Slowpoke mentioned provides hotel suggestions, and the Youth Hostel listed there is very close to the castle. At walking distance actually, although at night you’d probably prefer to ride the bus for a few stops. It’s affordable, and not just for youth but families and everyone else too.

• The thread ‘Chillion castle to Zermatt bahnhof – train/Uber?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.