chur to tirano

• jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    19 April 2015 at 14:43:59 #807102

I’ll be taking a choo choo from Chur to Tirano in October. Something about this route really confuses me. I’ve taken trains in Switzerland before. Always seemed very straight forward. Go to the station, buy a ticket, wait for the next train. Not even important to check schedules as they run so frequently. On this route I understand there are express’ and ‘regional’ trains. And they all take 4+ hours. I’ve seen Chur. Tirano doesn’t sound like a touristic treat. (Just there to break the trip to Venice) So… The ‘express’ is just transportation so far as I can tell and leaves me with time to kill in in places of no particular interest. And it requires reservations and etc. Some questions about the ‘regional’ trains; Is there the same issues with reservations? Will the additional traffic to Milan for the Expo affect them? Are there still some with open windows? Can you get off and spend a few hours along the way? If you can break that ride is there anywhere along the way you can suggest a person might get out, stash luggage, and stretch their legs for 2 to 4 hour hike, or even a pleasant village to wander around?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 April 2015 at 8:28:22 #842608

Hi Jack,

This route is serviced by the direct Bernina Express, and by regional trains that require 1 to 3 changes along the way. There are various places to take a break. A beautiful one is Morteratsch, where you can have lunch and/or a walk to the glacier. Also, you can get off the train at Bernina Diavolezza and take the cable car up. And there’s Alp Grüm, another wonderful place to have lunch while enjoying the views. These are all small stations and I don’t expect them to have lockers. Larger stations like St. Moritz do have lockers or a left luggage office. From there you can walk over to the Piz Nair cable car, or do a walk around the lake. Another option is Bergün, with its museum about the Bernina line.

Only the Bernina Express requires reservations. For the other trains, a regular ticket is sufficient, or none at all if you have a rail pass. So you can get off and on as you like.

The regular rolling stock no longer has opening windows as far as I know, but there are open air carriages in specific trains, please see here: http://www.rhb.ch/en/leisure-travel-and-excursions/groups-schools/charter-carriages/open-scenic-carriages.

• The thread ‘chur to tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.